Robo-Tank: The New Name in Aquarium Controllers, or an Experienced Veteran?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I’m Rob Fowler, the creator of Robo-Tank, a modular and customizable aquarium controller that has been evolving for nearly a decade. I've been part of the amazing Reef2Reef community for over four years, and I’m thrilled to share some exciting news with you! My journey with Robo-Tank began when I got my first aquarium and, like many of you, found the high price of controllers out of reach. Inspired by others in the community, I decided to build my own using Arduinos, and when fellow hobbyists saw it, they wanted one too. That’s what sparked the idea to start selling Robo-Tank controllers, and it’s been growing ever since! Today, Robo-Tank is powered by a Raspberry Pi, offering even more power and flexibility for both beginner and advanced users.

Robo-Tank is all about flexibility. It works with non-proprietary equipment and sensors, so you’re free to choose the gear that suits your needs without being tied to a specific brand. Over the years, I've sold more than 1,200 aquarium controllers, with 700 in just the last few years, and the system has been thoroughly tested in real-world aquarium setups. But don’t just take my word for it—check out what our customers have to say! You can read real experiences and feedback from Robo-Tank users here.

The hardware has been refined to ensure reliability, and the affordable pricing, with aquarium controllers starting at just $100, gives incredible value for money. It even includes a highly accurate pH circuit, and for those who love to tinker, Robo-Tank offers the freedom to create custom circuits and, most excitingly, to modify the web app to fit your needs exactly how you see fit. The web app is continuously being developed and provides real-time control and automation for your aquarium, making it incredibly powerful and flexible. You can dive into all the details of the web app here to see how it can transform your aquarium management.

I’m excited to announce that the next version of Robo-Tank is launching soon on Kickstarter! This updated version is tailored to fit the needs of even more users based on feedback and offers the same flexibility and ease of use you’ve come to expect. I don’t want to reveal everything just yet, but there are some exciting new features (hint: conductivity circuit) that will push Robo-Tank to the next level. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to launch!

For those familiar with Reef-pi, a project that’s proudly part of the Reef2Reef community and has continued to inspire me, you’ll be happy to know that Robo-Tank is still fully compatible. Whether you’re using Reef-pi or my web app, Robo-Tank provides a powerful, flexible solution that grows alongside your needs.

Make sure to follow the Kickstarter pre-launch page for updates and be part of this exciting journey. I can’t wait to share more with you soon!

Kickstarter Pre-Launch Page

Thank you all for your continued support!

Best regards,
Rob Fowler
Founder of Robo-Tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Robo-Tank hardware on my aquarium for years and it has performed flawlessly. I use Reef-Pi as the software, which also has worked well. I am excited for the next generation of Robo-Tank and your software. Thanks for the update!
Great, glad to hear things are going well and yeah reef-pi is a great piece of software.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m interested in getting the Robo Tank.
What all can I control with it? Like what brand doser do I need to get to use with it? What product can I use with it
Hi, any 12v or 24v (depending on power input) will work, most people use the Kamoer ones as they are pretty good. Here's a link.

Kamoer KPHM100 dosing pump

You can control most other equipment you might need such as pumps, heaters, skimmers, valves, lights, what are you wanting to control? Do you have anything particular you are thinking about?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rob, this is awesome!! Excited to see this!!

Robo-Tank_App.gif

Last edited:

felda001

Getting old sucks. Beats the alternative though
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be relatively ID-10T proof? I am looking for something that if I need to explain over the phone to someone what to do it's not overly complicated. Simple to set up and maintain would be high on the list too

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This got my attention!!

Welcome to the sponsor threads

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be relatively ID-10T proof? I am looking for something that if I need to explain over the phone to someone what to do it's not overly complicated. Simple to set up and maintain would be high on the list too
Mostly. ;) I won't say it's the easiest to use as you do need to install the Raspberry Pi OS and app on the microSD card but that's not too difficult. After that it's fairly simple but as the app is still being developed there are some features missing that would make it more friendly. If you have a Raspberry Pi you can install the app and browser through it. What are you wanting to control with it?

sould I wait to get the new version? Or will the current version be compatible with all upcoming features?!
As of now I've been able to keep everything backwards compatible for all versions of the controller but I just ran out of controllers and don't really want to get another batch of the current controller as I'll be stuck with them.

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another happy Robo-Tank user here! I backed Rob's kickstarter for the original Robo-Tank in 2020 and am still running it today. It controls or monitors almost everything on my tank – ATO, skimmer, doser, temperature and pH monitoring, refugium lighting and my kalk stirrer:
1728467216474.png

I am interested in trying the new web app and will probably pick up another board for my next tank.

Swede's Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting a controller/monitor system but not impressed with current high priced offerings of some competitors out there. They want way too much money for what you get. This may be what I need. Will keep watching ....

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another happy Robo-Tank user here! I backed Rob's kickstarter for the original Robo-Tank in 2020 and am still running it today. It controls or monitors almost everything on my tank – ATO, skimmer, doser, temperature and pH monitoring, refugium lighting and my kalk stirrer:
1728467216474.png

I am interested in trying the new web app and will probably pick up another board for my next tank.
Love to hear that, glad things are going well.
I'm using the current version of Robo-Tank and love the living heck out of it. I'll be following the kickstarter :)
:) thumbs up
Been wanting a controller/monitor system but not impressed with current high priced offerings of some competitors out there. They want way too much money for what you get. This may be what I need. Will keep watching ....
Yeah they are expensive, I try my hardest to keep costs as low as possible as that's why I started doing this.

wccbr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested! Tried to sign up for notifications on the kickstarter page but it threw an error! Will try to keep checking back.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested! Tried to sign up for notifications on the kickstarter page but it threw an error! Will try to keep checking back.
Right on, thanks, it won't be much longer. I hope that notification button works for you.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back