RockRash's 75 gallon build

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted pictures here and there of my progress on my tank. It's a top fin 75 gallon I bought on sale at petsmart. I'll be using a 40 breeder for my sump.

I drilled the tank a few months ago ( this has been a slow build) and installed my overflow and bulkheads.

20240322_185215.jpg

20240322_191054.jpg

More to come.

OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to starting my stand this week. I was hoping to finish up today but ran out gas for the welder. All the stores were closed when I ran lucky I found a welding store not to far away so I can exchange the cylinder tomorrow and get back to work.

This is where I'm at with the stand. I'm planning on using wood and magnets for the covering so I can have easy access to the sump.

20241025_165012.jpg

OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment I'll be using. There's a reef octopus skimmer behind the reef mat. Vectra s2 for the return pump and 2 mp40s for the flow.
20241025_185741.jpg

Right now I have 2 AI primes on the tank. I know I'll need more light I'm just not sure if 2 more AI primes will be enough or if I should add 2 hydra 32s. I have the tank sitting on the bar in our dining room right now. I turned the lights to red and added a skeleton fish for Halloween lol.

20241025_190729.jpg

I'm hoping to have the tank on the stand some time this week so I can start plumbing. I'll update when I make more progress.

OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the rockwork! I am just curious: what is the stand made of? (Wondering about how you plan to use magnets...)
Thanks! It took us almost 3 weeks of gluing, mortaring eventually braking it down to come up with it. The stand is made of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x .083 steel. I'm planning on drilling plugs in the wood panels so the magnets sit flush and will hold the wood to the stand. I built the stand to support a 120 gallon if I ever decided to upgrade in the future.

OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that explains the magnets. :) I hope you're planning on putting about 300 coats of Rustoleum or the equivalent on that frame then. After a while, even my stainless steel lab tables started to corrode from the salt.
Yes, I haven't decided on paining it or having it powder coated. There is a powder coating shop a few miles away. I figured I'd load it up in the truck and get a quote once I finally finish it. If its really expensive I'll be applying copious amounts of rustoleum lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back