cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
How are you testing your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
A screen top may be a serious consideration
RODI phosphate test expired. Have a screen top. Near two windows however big curtains

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you only have a Tidal 110 for mechanical filtration. That may not enough. You need some type of nutrient export. A refugium, scrubber, skimmer, or plain old water changes would be beneficial. Since you tank is not plumbed with a sump. Your options are limited. I would cut way back on feeding if possible & stick with a strict water change regiment for now.
I'm trying to get an icecap k-50..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
R

RODI phosphate test expired. Have a screen top. Near two windows however big curtains
Problem with tank at window is the power of UV which will penetrate shades-blinds- curtains and likely a huge contributor to algae
RODI - Are your cartridges by chance old or expired?
What are you using for filters/filtration?
Any pics you can provide?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with tank at window is the power of UV which will penetrate shades-blinds- curtains and likely a huge contributor to algae
RODI - Are your cartridges by chance old or expired?
What are you using for filters/filtration?
Any pics you can provide?
RODI is not expired. Tidal 110 HOBZ GAC matrix marine floss and purigen.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000373.jpg
1000000372.jpg
1000000371.jpg

1000000374.jpg
Pictures

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have any sand sleepers, just siphon all that sand out and go bare bottom, I bet there is so much crud in there

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
RODI is not expired. Tidal 110 HOBZ GAC matrix marine floss and purigen.
Unfortunately, your filter is part of issue as it does part of what it claims mainly entrapping particles, but it is a hang on filter which is a mechanical filter unit and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The tidal unit will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, your filter is part of issue as it does part of what it claims mainly entrapping particles, but it is a hang on filter which is a mechanical filter unit and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The tidal unit will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished with use of carbon and GFO as examples
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
I've been trying to get a skimmer and still attempting too. I heard bio filtration are nitrate factories? I just ordered more reef flux and carbon should I also order some new purigen?

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No purgien

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get a skimmer and still attempting too. I heard bio filtration are nitrate factories? I just ordered more reef flux and carbon should I also order some new purigen?
With a skimmer, just take into consideration your goals for your tank. Is it ultimately going to be stocked lightly, moderately or heavily? With each skimmer, under specs, should be how many gallons will successfully be skimmed based on how much livestock you have in your tank. Just food for thought.....

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bothers me is the statement that this has gone on for years. While Gha is a natural part of the process it is not a part of a mature tank. What are you doing in your method to keep your tank from maturing? It looks like your tank is in week six, but you stated this has gone on for years. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to get to the root. If you want to help your issue, add some pods and urchins and hermits. that will take care of part of your problem. The other part of your problem is why this is happening. Are you doing proper water changes? Is your CA, ALK, MG in range? What is your RODI reading (ICP) and what is your tank reading (ICP). It may sound silly, but if you start with a bunch of nutrients before you even mix your salt, you are going to have an issue. Step back and just look at your tank in a new perspective.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back