Sick fish?

RobbyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the the melanarus wrasse from a LFS 6 days ago. On the second day I had him I noticed these markings on him. He had plenty of energy, eats fine and moves about the tank all day with plenty of vigor. He's had this for at least 4 days without showing sings of slowing down. You can see in the picture, it looks like it's swollen and his scales are slightly raised.

I've had the flasher wrasse for about 6-8 months. He's one of the most active members in the tank flashing and jetting around like he's always got some where to be. Today I noticed he was not acting himself because he had slowed down a bit. Still eating, still moving about but definitely with less tenacity as usually. Upon inspecting him, I noticed the mark on his abdomen. Can any help me identify what's going on here? Is it related and what should I be doing about it?

20241026_143621.jpg 20241026_143659.jpg IMG_20241026_163012.jpg IMG_20241026_163019.jpg

OP
OP
R

RobbyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flasher and a mid sized blue hippo like to have a stand off from time to time. The majority of the time they just circle each other really fast but don't make contact. It's very plausible that she tail smacked him. Also I have a cranky female clown but most all the tank makes give her space.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the the melanarus wrasse from a LFS 6 days ago. On the second day I had him I noticed these markings on him. He had plenty of energy, eats fine and moves about the tank all day with plenty of vigor. He's had this for at least 4 days without showing sings of slowing down. You can see in the picture, it looks like it's swollen and his scales are slightly raised.

I've had the flasher wrasse for about 6-8 months. He's one of the most active members in the tank flashing and jetting around like he's always got some where to be. Today I noticed he was not acting himself because he had slowed down a bit. Still eating, still moving about but definitely with less tenacity as usually. Upon inspecting him, I noticed the mark on his abdomen. Can any help me identify what's going on here? Is it related and what should I be doing about it?

20241026_143621.jpg 20241026_143659.jpg IMG_20241026_163012.jpg IMG_20241026_163019.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While Uronema is one possible diagnosis, fish with that usually die very quickly and the lesions are usually and deep red in color.

I agree, this could be tankmate aggression.

If you want to delve into the Uronema issue further, here is an article about it:

Jay

OP
OP
R

RobbyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. I think both of you are correct. He's had the marking for about 5 days now and shows no signs of slowing down. I think he just learned a hard lesson on what corner of the tank to stay away from. Thank you guys for your feedback. I'll post again when things change.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • No.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back