Skimmers are gross… how long since you cleaned yours?

What is the longest you’ve let your skimmer go between cleanings?

• Less than a month

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • 7-12 months

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • More than a year

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I’ve never cleaned it, thats for the birds!

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I’m type A and it gets cleaned on a regular schedule

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone always talks about cleaning the cup and the neck. That is all I used to do. But recently i discovered that my skimmer was running a lot less efficiently because dust had built up in the air intake. Cleaned it out for the first time ever... and it works much better. These are the little things we often overlook.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my skimmer wasn’t collecting much lately so I took a peek…. Probably been 2 years since I cleaned the neck. I know, I know, it should be part of my regular maintenance, but I just hate doing it and my tank doesn’t seem to mind too much.

Anybody else a chronic skimmer neglector? What are the consequences of doing this (even if not immediately apparent by looking at the tank)?

IMG_4401.jpeg
I clean out my collection cup quite often, but to clean the whole kit and caboodle, I only do that every couple months.

tekknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty helpful for removing organics and keeping nitrate and phosphate in check. They also help with gas exchange, keeping water well oxygenated and helping with pH by removing CO2. For a new reefer I would always recommend one. That said, many have proved they are not absolutely a requirement. Probably won’t have much luck with SPS without one though.

Can I ask why you have socks and filter floss?
I'm just using filter sock because my sump had 2 holes for them. I don't know if they are necessary. I would like to eliminate them too. The filter floss I just put in there because it seemed like it might be a good idea, at least until beneficial bacteria have taken over. I don't know, I'm still learning and just throwing stuff in there that I've read about. I have two air stones so I think it should be well oxygenated. I'm not familiar with CO2/pH relationship, or SPS. I just have soft coral for now. I have 4 frags for a couple months now, but they don't seem to be growing. So far the pH has been sticking around 8.2.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
skimmer neck cleaner + locker + locker pump to drain = never clean again

swabbie: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/swabbie
locker: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/djsl-xl
pump: amzn/B07D9T7223 (use this instead of a neptune pmup that fails yearly)
step down: amzn/B00J3MHUWM (use this to convert from 24v 1link to 12v - just cut/strip a 1link wire)
male 3/8" OD hard tube adapter: amzn/B01M24RWX9 (install this into the 3d printed tube adapter)
tube adapter: made this myself, pushes right onto the pump outlet (~12mm) and with the male push adapter 3/8" hard rodi tubing pushes right in (dm me for the stl)

route it to your drain, done.

1722455899559.png
1722455916314.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back