Snail and hermit crab relocation update!

rudie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, quick recap for those who didn’t read the last posts. I live in the Pacific Northwest and my gf and I wondered if it would be viable to take snails and hermits from the ocean to use as our clean up crew for our reef tank.

We did a lot of research on this but couldn’t find any who had done it before so we set up an experiment. We got the snails and crabs, got a quarantine tank to the same parameters as our reef tank and put them in it.

Slowly we started adding them into the reef tank giving the shells a brush with each addition and waiting 3-5 days before adding more

We know have about 9 hermits and 7 snails, all in the reef tank, and everyone is doing fantastic!!!

This CUC would have run us around 160 in store but we paid nothing other then a bit of time

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, quick recap for those who didn’t read the last posts. I live in the Pacific Northwest and my gf and I wondered if it would be viable to take snails and hermits from the ocean to use as our clean up crew for our reef tank.

We did a lot of research on this but couldn’t find any who had done it before so we set up an experiment. We got the snails and crabs, got a quarantine tank to the same parameters as our reef tank and put them in it.

Slowly we started adding them into the reef tank giving the shells a brush with each addition and waiting 3-5 days before adding more

We know have about 9 hermits and 7 snails, all in the reef tank, and everyone is doing fantastic!!!

This CUC would have run us around 160 in store but we paid nothing other then a bit of time

I do this all the time. Added three hermits yesterday in fact.

Just be aware of local rules. Some places have restrictions on things like collecting molluscs (due to overfishing etc)

OP
OP
R

rudie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just be aware of local rules. Some places have restrictions on things like collecting molluscs (due to overfishing etc)
Omg you’re the first!!!!

Thanks for chiming in, got a bunch of hate on this on facebooks groups

Ever had any issues?

And yeah u looked up local laws about them. Not worried at all, more was worried about the health of them and my fish/coral but it’s working awesome.!

Great to meet another explorer lol

OP
OP
R

rudie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where are you located? West coast as well?

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m pretty much as far down and to the left of the map you can get and i use local stuff to replenish here and there, have never had issues
just be sure to check local regulations
only time i’ve been stopped they were just curious as to what i was collecting for
especially with tigger pods lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back