Specific Superglue brand

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just use a very thin super glue and marco powder... or you can crush up your rocks and use that.

But the marco powder works the best, but it will cause a LOT of poisonous gas as it bonds.

I use Glue Masters Ultra Thin when i do that for NSA scapes.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just use a very thin super glue and marco powder... or you can crush up your rocks and use that.

But the marco powder works the best, but it will cause a LOT of poisonous gas as it bonds.

I use Glue Masters Ultra Thin when i do that for NSA scapes.

Oh I didn't know this one is aquarium safe, perfect.

Thank you very much

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much

i have tried the other brands... they don't compare to the real glue masters.
Anyone that has used the real glue master will say its like bootleg moonshine vs aged whiskey.

But when you do it, make sure you are outside in a well ventilated area.
When the glue bonds, it releases Cyanide Gas and get really hot, which well, i don't think i need to say more.
So don't do it indoors unless you have some form of ventilator, and air scrubber.

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have tried the other brands... they don't compare to the real glue masters.
Anyone that has used the real glue master will say its like bootleg moonshine vs aged whiskey.

But when you do it, make sure you are outside in a well ventilated area.
When the glue bonds, it releases Cyanide Gas and get really hot, which well, i don't think i need to say more.
So don't do it indoors unless you have some form of ventilator, and air scrubber.
That's a great advise, surely will do it outside.
Really appreciate it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much
Cyanoacrylate is reef safe. That is the same ingredient in *most* of the superglue.
One can't be better than another if it's the same ingredient. Right?

Do layers... Sand, glue, sand, glue, until it's built up how you like it. It will "smoke" and get hot.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually you'd be surprised that there are different formulas and some are vastly superior then others.
For example BSI makes great thick gel glue, i use it a lot for attaching frags, while seachem stuff you might as well throw away.

I use the glue masters for rockwork, because again, nothing comes close to it.

But yes in general its all the same.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm trying to find a safe glue somebody already used.

Thank you
Cyanoacrylate or ethyl cyanoacrylate. Brand doesn’t matter as far as safety goes if those are your only ingredients.

Are you gluing this in an already established tank? I’m afraid of epoxy because the VOC’s are horrible. If I can’t expose the parrots to it, it’s not going in with my fish but that’s just me.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use in direct contact with a coral. There is a chemical reaction.
Rock to rock, no issues. I have mounted a gorgonian that was attached to a small rock fragment to attached it to a bigger rock in the tank with no issues; again no contact directly with the coral.
That's basically what I was asking... Can the accelerator be used to glue a plug or a rock to a structure in the tank without poisoning the water? Have you done this with your Gorg? What i want to do, is put a dab of glue/gel on a rock in the tank, put a dab on the coral plug/rock, hit the plug with a drop of accelerator, then immediately go into the tank to have it set instantly... I read that once it contacts the glue and you can smell that nice fragrant smell from the reaction, that it is non-toxic... but I don't want to chance it unless I know for sure it's ok. Thx for the reply!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's basically what I was asking... Can the accelerator be used to glue a plug or a rock to a structure in the tank without poisoning the water? Have you done this with your Gorg? What i want to do, is put a dab of glue/gel on a rock in the tank, put a dab on the coral plug/rock, hit the plug with a drop of accelerator, then immediately go into the tank to have it set instantly... I read that once it contacts the glue and you can smell that nice fragrant smell from the reaction, that it is non-toxic... but I don't want to chance it unless I know for sure it's ok. Thx for the reply!
I will answer again.

I wouldn't use it. If I remember right, it's a chemical to speed up drying time, like acetone or isopropyl. They evaporate quickly. Don't use acetone on coral.

Fun fact, dip in water right after applying the glue and it immediately sets. Why? The lack of air sets it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to my previous post:

If the accelerator is completely evaporated, it is safe to use in the tank.

But not needed as I explained earlier.

Last edited:

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud I heard you the first time. I'm not looking for opinions because I already have the same opinion you are referring to. I'm trying to gather if anyone knows for a "fact" that it can or cannot be done. And no offense meant here, but no glue sets immediately under water. You always have to hold it in position for a period of time, which is not instant...

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud I heard you the first time. I'm not looking for opinions because I already have the same opinion you are referring to. I'm trying to gather if anyone knows for a "fact" that it can or cannot be done. And no offense meant here, but no glue sets immediately under water. You always have to hold it in position for a period of time, which is not instant...
Okay...

Happy Reefing, bud.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanoacrylate is reef safe. That is the same ingredient in *most* of the superglue.

Do layers... Sand, glue, sand, glue, until it's built up how you like it. It will "smoke" and get hot.

Yes that's right.

Thank you very much

OP
OP
ArashS1347

ArashS1347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanoacrylate or ethyl cyanoacrylate. Brand doesn’t matter as far as safety goes if those are your only ingredients.

Are you gluing this in an already established tank? I’m afraid of epoxy because the VOC’s are horrible. If I can’t expose the parrots to it, it’s not going in with my fish but that’s just me.
No its not stablished yet, my plan is to start it after I finished the stones, I will test the superglue first before mixing the superglue and E Proxy technique, as far as other friends advised, the super glue and sand should be enough.

Thank you very much

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 59 25.1%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 105 44.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 6.0%
Back