Starting Pico to Dream Big

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for update.....
With personal stuff and getting the house ready for christmas and work, I havent been able to stay ontop of the tank and let things go. Fortunatley everything is still doing well. The sps has fully encrusted and corals just fine.

I did discover one major issue. I was able to discover my par was only 50 and that was at top of where sps sit. With needing better light setup and lid slightly adding to the issue, you know what that means.......

Tank has been upgraded!

While still 1 gallon, this is a sealed jar. While im not fond of acrylic do to scratching, ill be able to get better photos and be able to travel if needing to leave with it easier. Also drilled 2 holes to run air hose in one and let pressure out other.

Im still using the AI Prime HD, I purchased a lamp mount to hold and adjust. Gives it a more cleaner look and easy adjustments. I thought I had spackle but was stucko for another repair project so will be getting some to patch this week hopefully.

I also purchased a round mouse pad to help with vibration and not sitting on the metal stand of lamp mount. There is some neat designs but just stuck with black. May change out eventually.

One thing I did add I didnt want to was another sps. Was 1 piece but dropped and split. The reason why is this SPS reminds me of the one I had before and hoping its similar. Time will tell. But this was a centimental purchase.

The Par of the tank now reads around 310 where sps are. I will monitor and adjust as needed.

But this is what yall want. Progress pictures....
IMG20231204210023.jpg
IMG20231204210512.jpg
IMG20231204210703.jpg
IMG20231204210720.jpg
IMG20231204210929.jpg
IMG20231204211857.jpg
IMG20231204213312.jpg
IMG20231204221120.jpg
IMG_20231204_224815.jpg
IMG20231205205556.jpg

Still have some cleanup to do such as tieing the wire for light to stand and such but pretty much done. We will be painting this room eventually as well. But one of the projects
Any updates?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a few, but tank is neglected. But doesnt look bad. I have been sick for 3 weeks off and on and family in town between. Sps are holding but everything else seems to be doing great. If I feel well enough, later today ill post pics.
I went through strep, flu, bruised kidney all at the same time. Now, somehow got Bell's Palsy, so I know how you feel.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through strep, flu, bruised kidney all at the same time. Now, somehow got Bell's Palsy, so I know how you feel.
sorry to hear that. I have some blood work back already to go over with doc.

I have just taken some pics of the tank neglected. getting ready to test parameters now and then do after pics later or tomorrow. curious where my parameters are at after leaving alone for about a month.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures I forgot to post last week before water change. Will be changing spectrums. The 2 newer sps will not make it be the original is pale but encrusting and growing. Colors are not the best but everything else seems well.
IMG_20240113_124001.jpg

IMG_20240113_131010.jpg

IMG_20240113_124044.jpg

IMG_20240113_124021.jpg

IMG_20240113_124110.jpg

IMG_20240113_124509.jpg

IMG_20240113_124052.jpg

IMG_20240113_124007.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a heater to the tank yesterday. Had to splice the cord in order to fit through hole in top. Tank seems to still be happy. Plan on cleaning up some bubble algae soon.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides cleaning as i had several docs and adjusting to some health things and catching up around house work slowly tank is doing well. Over due for water change. Here is some pics of the SPS. I like posting dirty tank shots as thats mostly what I see currently lol. Hopefully later today I am up for a quick water change and cleaning.
1000002208.jpg

1000002206.jpg

1000002207.jpg

1000002202.jpg

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little set-up.

I have a little 1.5 gal tank in my classroom that I think was an ATO for another system. I’m currently using it to culture Spirogyra for student experiments.

This thread inspired me to set it up in my classroom with maybe some SPS and a clam. It currently sits on a south-facing window, so I will do it without lighting. Temps don’t get too warm (I’ve been monitoring), but when it gets really cold at night, the water temps get a little cool for coral. I will need to add a little heater like yours.

I’ll report back when I get it set up.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little set-up.

I have a little 1.5 gal tank in my classroom that I think was an ATO for another system. I’m currently using it to culture Spirogyra for student experiments.

This thread inspired me to set it up in my classroom with maybe some SPS and a clam. It currently sits on a south-facing window, so I will do it without lighting. Temps don’t get too warm (I’ve been monitoring), but when it gets really cold at night, the water temps get a little cool for coral. I will need to add a little heater like yours.

I’ll report back when I get it set up.
Thats awsome. Have a thread or picks of setup? I enjoy looking at different ones. Or can post some here.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news today, I have speculations but not fully sure. Take officially crashed last night.i have lost cocoa worms, other worms, the spiny oyster, probably pistol shrimp, snail, etc. I believe even the sps. The elegance and button scolly has film but will see how they are whenI get home.

The water change I did, i did not preheat. So drop from 79 to 72. I have done tgis before with no issues as temp would go back ip in an hour.

Heater was faulty as I read a few reviews. I had stuck my hand in and felt slight constant tickle but only tips of fingers. There was no shock. I had also cut the wires to feed through hole and put together where it would be protected bu cabinet. I also wrapped each connection with electrical tape and then taped whole tging for protection. Correct wires were verified. Was thinking of soldering but needed to be able to move if necessary. I had the xord accidentally get pulled and may have undone some of the twisting and folding enough.

either way i believe it involves adding the heater which I probably will not do again.

I will try and remember picks when I get home but also have wife not feeling well. I did remove worm and a couple things today to lesson following and followed up with another water change before work. Not sure what I am going to do at this point with a tank.

If something isnt broke, dont fix it. And thats what I tried to do. Never used one but decided to. The betta bowl is fine currently with same heater.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked on tank and everything is gone. I decided to test my saltwater in container Needless to say it was not salt water and was freshwater. I should have tested when I got home but never have as water was always good. Things happen. Time to figure things out. I believe because of my health I was thinking of rinsing before getting salt with fresh. I decided not to and body didnt listen and brain didnt pay attention to what my body was doing.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back