Suspected brooklynella?

Zella616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back again, with another potentially sick fish. We had the tank water checked by 2 shops, all good. I did all my own testing as well.

We got a pair of clownfish about 2 weeks after our royal gramma died (suspected a mix of aggression, stress, and possibly fit rot - she disappeared, and showed up a day later in the pistol shrimp area half eaten). Bigger one and smaller one were not paired, so I've been keeping a very close eye on both, especially the smaller one (calling it a male for now). He's had a few nips from fins, but nothing major. He's swimming and eating great, breathing a bit heavy but it's been about a week so I was hoping it was stress. They've slept together, swim together off and on, and he does the twitch for her. I noticed a day or two in that he had a sheen on one side. I kept an even closer eye on it due to what happened with the gramma. Yesterday evening I noticed that it had spread a bit down to the tail fin, breathing a bit heavier, pale and my partner said that he was more lethargic, but still eating very well and responding to stuff in/ around the tank. Cue frantic searches. I got ruby rally and dosed the tank the second the LFS (not our normal one, but one that had it in stock) opened before I had to leave for work. I ordered kordon rid ich plus as well, because it's the only thing I could find that has the formalin that I could source. It's coming from chewy and will take a few days. When my paycheck tomorrow drops I'm going to petco to buy a cheap tank and bubbler for QT.

I have not done any dips, primarily because I did not want to stress him out further if it's something less deadly. I figured treating the tank anyways is a good idea due to having the second clownfish and goby, especially if it is early brook. He also been in an area that's impossible to get any pictures or videos of the suspicious area... until a bit ago.

Symptoms so far is the white 'sheen' that's growing, paleness, heavy breathing, and (didn't realize it until a bit ago) fin clamping the front top and bottom fins. He's not swimming into any heavy flow (so i don't suspect flukes), ate great this morning, not so much this evening. Doing twitches that are not the submissive kind (whole body is curling so the affected area is on the inside). No mucus, I think? Considering I didn't realize he was clamping fins, I don't trust myself so well right now.

Big questions are - brook or something else? Should I do a dip? And if so, what kind? I've seen FW and extended ruby rally. I'll probably get the other medication about when the ruby is done with day 3. I've also seen that I might need to go longer...?

Tank parameters (I use a strip for quick checks, and have the hanna marine line for everything else): nitrites 0, nitrates 20 (water change would usually be tomorrow, but that's on hold for ruby), ammonia 0, pH 8.4, salinity 0.026, temp 75-77. No copper, iron or chlorine. Alk ~8.5, calcium 446, mag 1550, phosphorus 0.07

Video is the best I could do, pictures are from the video. Final picture when fish is over the rock is from a few days ago. VideoCapture_20241002-220238.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220247.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220310.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220233.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220336.jpg VideoCapture_20241001-194617.jpg

Attachments

• 20241002_220022.mp4
    13.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Back again, with another potentially sick fish. We had the tank water checked by 2 shops, all good. I did all my own testing as well.

We got a pair of clownfish about 2 weeks after our royal gramma died (suspected a mix of aggression, stress, and possibly fit rot - she disappeared, and showed up a day later in the pistol shrimp area half eaten). Bigger one and smaller one were not paired, so I've been keeping a very close eye on both, especially the smaller one (calling it a male for now). He's had a few nips from fins, but nothing major. He's swimming and eating great, breathing a bit heavy but it's been about a week so I was hoping it was stress. They've slept together, swim together off and on, and he does the twitch for her. I noticed a day or two in that he had a sheen on one side. I kept an even closer eye on it due to what happened with the gramma. Yesterday evening I noticed that it had spread a bit down to the tail fin, breathing a bit heavier, pale and my partner said that he was more lethargic, but still eating very well and responding to stuff in/ around the tank. Cue frantic searches. I got ruby rally and dosed the tank the second the LFS (not our normal one, but one that had it in stock) opened before I had to leave for work. I ordered kordon rid ich plus as well, because it's the only thing I could find that has the formalin that I could source. It's coming from chewy and will take a few days. When my paycheck tomorrow drops I'm going to petco to buy a cheap tank and bubbler for QT.

I have not done any dips, primarily because I did not want to stress him out further if it's something less deadly. I figured treating the tank anyways is a good idea due to having the second clownfish and goby, especially if it is early brook. He also been in an area that's impossible to get any pictures or videos of the suspicious area... until a bit ago.

Symptoms so far is the white 'sheen' that's growing, paleness, heavy breathing, and (didn't realize it until a bit ago) fin clamping the front top and bottom fins. He's not swimming into any heavy flow (so i don't suspect flukes), ate great this morning, not so much this evening. Doing twitches that are not the submissive kind (whole body is curling so the affected area is on the inside). No mucus, I think? Considering I didn't realize he was clamping fins, I don't trust myself so well right now.

Big questions are - brook or something else? Should I do a dip? And if so, what kind? I've seen FW and extended ruby rally. I'll probably get the other medication about when the ruby is done with day 3. I've also seen that I might need to go longer...?

Tank parameters (I use a strip for quick checks, and have the hanna marine line for everything else): nitrites 0, nitrates 20, ammonia 0, pH 8.4, salinity 0.026, temp 75-77. No copper, iron or chlorine. Alk ~8.5, calcium 446, mag 1550, phosphorus 0.07

Video is the best I could do, pictures are from the video. Final picture when fish is over the rock is from a few days ago. VideoCapture_20241002-220238.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220247.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220310.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220233.jpg VideoCapture_20241002-220336.jpg VideoCapture_20241001-194617.jpg
yes, does appear to be such. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
Z

Zella616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, does appear to be such. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
I'm glad I moved so fast to get the ruby, then. Since I'm already dosing the tank, would it be worth the stress to do a ruby or FW dip right now? And since I'm dosing the tank, would it be OK to put him back the the DT, or do I need to try to QT? I'm getting the QT tank for the formalin when that arrives.
Considering the mucus starts around the face - does mine currently have that? I honestly don't see anything different from the bigger/healthy clown around the face. I do know he's breathing hard, but I wasn't sure if it's mucus I can't see or stress. Again, though, I was concerned about stressing him out hard for a dip if there's no visible mucus. Or is the sheen on the side mucus?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm glad I moved so fast to get the ruby, then. Since I'm already dosing the tank, would it be worth the stress to do a ruby or FW dip right now? And since I'm dosing the tank, would it be OK to put him back the the DT, or do I need to try to QT? I'm getting the QT tank for the formalin when that arrives.
Considering the mucus starts around the face - does mine currently have that? I honestly don't see anything different from the bigger/healthy clown around the face. I do know he's breathing hard, but I wasn't sure if it's mucus I can't see or stress. Again, though, I was concerned about stressing him out hard for a dip if there's no visible mucus. Or is the sheen on the side mucus?
Ruby bath will help. If you applied ruby, It takes a couple of days to start to take effect and will not stress your fish not inverts

OP
OP
Z

Zella616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby bath will help. If you applied ruby, It takes a couple of days to start to take effect and will not stress your fish not inverts
Do you know how strong to make the ruby rally bath? I've been looking, but all I see is "do a 60-90 minute ruby rally bath" - no info on how to dose the bath.
Little one didn't eat breakfast, so I did a FW dip. Some stuff in the water - I guess that's the mucus in the gills. He's back in the display tank (with the ruby rally in it) - I won't have the other tank until tonight.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Do you know how strong to make the ruby rally bath? I've been looking, but all I see is "do a 60-90 minute ruby rally bath" - no info on how to dose the bath.
Little one didn't eat breakfast, so I did a FW dip. Some stuff in the water - I guess that's the mucus in the gills. He's back in the display tank (with the ruby rally in it) - I won't have the other tank until tonight.
3/4 teaspoon per 10 gals with aeration

OP
OP
Z

Zella616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 teaspoon per 10 gals with aeration
Thank you! Got it going right now. Little guy actually unclamped his bottom fins (top is still clamped hard) within a minute of being in the bath. Visually doesn't appear any worse then this morning. Did the FW dip, and he had better color after. Still not eating (not breakfast or what was offered a half hour after the dip), but we'll try again tonight. Thankfully the other clown still looks great and is acting like normal, but I'm keeping an eye there. Fingers continue to be crossed that either the ruby does the trick, or stalls the brook long enough for the stronger formalin to arrive.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

SHOULD WE KEEP PREDATORY FISH IN HOME AQUARIUMS? SHARE YOUR FAVORITE PREDATORY FISH?

• Yes, but only if the owner is adequately prepared and knowledgeable about keeping predatory fish.

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • No, predatory fish require more care than what we can give in our homes.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • It depends on which predatory fish is in question.

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back