tailspot blenny stocking advice

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon AIO. Live rock and places to hide. Currently have a very well-behaved yellow tail damsel, banggai cardinal, yellow watchman and tiger pistol, green banded goby, several peppermint shrimp, various live rock hitchhikers, skunk cleaner and a Royal dottyback who is an absolute jerk. Would it be out of the question to introduce a tailspot blenny with said jerk? TIA

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use an acclimation box but I think the blenny would be fine with all of those fish

It's a totally different conspecific and my tailspot blenny just derps around under coral and does its own thing and the other fish completely ignore it

The only exception would be other blennies - it does not like other esscencius (sp) blennies and will mess with them.

OP
OP
Generator

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acclimation box. The only one I used it for was a firefish goby. Devilspawn still killed it. I imagine it's a more delicate and slower fish.

Good to know about other blennies. I was looking at starry and Barnacle blenny, then fell in love with the tailspot.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acclimation box. The only one I used it for was a firefish goby. Devilspawn still killed it. I imagine it's a more delicate and slower fish.

Good to know about other blennies. I was looking at starry and Barnacle blenny, then fell in love with the tailspot.
Firefish are too similar in their body type and where they take up space to a dottyback, so that one doesn't surprise me

I don't think a dottyback will care about a goby

But dottybacks are notorious for causing problems

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send jerk to the LFS :)

It's possible he may attack a tailspot... tailspots perch on rocks and dottybacks like to claim it as their own.

A royal gramma has a similar look without being so mean.

OP
OP
Generator

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a royal gramma. Once it was caught and in tbe bag he said oh. This is a bicolor pseudochromis but still a hardy fish. Dunno what I was thinking, I always look up things before I commit....but didn't. I tried to catch it a few times after it came home but it has too many places to hide. it chases my little green banded goby so now it hangs out in the spines of my rock boring urchin.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a royal gramma. Once it was caught and in tbe bag he said oh. This is a bicolor pseudochromis but still a hardy fish. Dunno what I was thinking, I always look up things before I commit....but didn't. I tried to catch it a few times after it came home but it has too many places to hide. it chases my little green banded goby so now it hangs out in the spines of my rock boring urchin.

little stinker...

fish trap? I have always had good luck with fish traps

It will probably be hard to add any nano fish with that guy in there.

That is really interesting about the green banded gobies behavior. There are some nano gobies that live among the spines of urchins, but never knew a green banded would.

OP
OP
Generator

Generator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little stinker...

fish trap? I have always had good luck with fish traps

It will probably be hard to add any nano fish with that guy in there.

That is really interesting about the green banded gobies behavior. There are some nano gobies that live among the spines of urchins, but never knew a green banded would.
On one hand I love the brazen little turd on the other, I think it wouldn't hurt my feelings if an anemone ate it.

I have at least 3 mantis who so far have been well behaved. I'm not counting on it lasting. So I just bought a trap. Dunno if it will catch a fish?

I didn't know any gobies lived in urchin spines but it makes sense!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a tailspot to atank with 2 clowns, sixline wrass, royal gramma, yellow tail damsel, diamond watchman goby that had been in the tank for over two years. The showed a little interest in him for about five minutes and then he was accepted. Smallest fish in the tank but has the biggest personality.
3588E6B1-ECEB-4F13-B213-33430D1B541D.jpeg

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back