Tank birthday, 47+ years

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My Fireclowns were not tank raised. I don't think they did that 34 years ago. I originally bought him because he was very young and I thought he was a flame Hawkfish.
Whoops I meant tank raised as in 30 years in your tank. Wild to think it could have been older than what you have had it with. I got the scoly 15 years ago at near the same size I had it the entire time. Makes me wonder how old it really was.

Long Island Andy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Island Andy, what are you doing here? I thought you left the hobby. How are you doing? I may give you a call. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Hi Paul I have a tank full of guppies, tank with a 6 baby Koi and a planted tank with a mix of friendly fish .
I follow your posts because I enjoy your stories. Still going to Don's every now and then let me know when your going , I babysit my 4 year old granddaughter but she likes the fish store I wonder where she got the fish gene from :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, I go to Don almost every week as my wife's PT is not far from there. I will probably go next week but I can only spend a little while there because her PT is all the way on the south end of 112.

I will try to call you when I'm going.

Whats a guppy? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOOohhhhhNNNooooo.

Crash.........No..not my reef, that would be silly and I run a reverse undergravel filter so it's state of the art.

My worm culture.
I have 2 white worm cultures and they are many years old. I have them in a cooler that you plug in like a picnic cooler. You can even plug it into a car.

I dropped the plug the other day and didn't realize it wasn't fully plugged into the thing and OMG, a heat wave and dead, really, really stinky worms.

One good and weird thing is that out of the 2 containers I have in the cooler, only one crashed and turned into smelly, worm mush. The other one is fine, kind of.

I will just put in more soil in the crashed one. I already cleaned it and the cooler with bleach, and I will add worms from the good culture. :)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOOohhhhhNNNooooo.

Crash.........No..not my reef, that would be silly and I run a reverse undergravel filter so it's state of the art.

My worm culture.
I have 2 white worm cultures and they are many years old. I have them in a cooler that you plug in like a picnic cooler. You can even plug it into a car.

I dropped the plug the other day and didn't realize it wasn't fully plugged into the thing and OMG, a heat wave and dead, really, really stinky worms.

One good and weird thing is that out of the 2 containers I have in the cooler, only one crashed and turned into smelly, worm mush. The other one is fine, kind of.

I will just put in more soil in the crashed one. I already cleaned it and the cooler with bleach, and I will add worms from the good culture. :)
How do you keep your worm culture from getting infested with fruit flies/gnats? I've had 2 colonies crash due to this.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep them cool, the fruit flies don't seem to hatch. But as soon as they warm up a little, they hatch.

Occasionally I flood my culture and stir it up. I then let the water in a slop sink pour over it very slowly until the water is clean.

Then I add some more soil to their container and pour the wet mud with the worms into a large mesh net and rinse it under running water, drain it and put it back in the box.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your worm culture from getting infested with fruit flies/gnats? I've had 2 colonies crash due to this.
Agree with Paul, i keep mine in a barfridge with a inkbird regulating the temp between 14 and 18 degrees celsius.
I use straight pottingmix out of the bag, no fruitflies at all. I don't feed bread either, just greek yoghurt and they thrive.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is our 51 st wedding anniversary. This was yesterday.
Anniversary.jpg

And this was 51 years ago. I haven't changed a bit. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is 34 and his mate is a couple of years younger. :D They have never been quarantined, medicated, spoken to, observed or anything else. And still spawning like bunnies.

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is our 51 st wedding anniversary. This was yesterday.
Anniversary.jpg

And this was 51 years ago. I haven't changed a bit. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Congrats!
So... Are you standing on the curb in the photograph in 1973? :D I think I brought home two goldfish from the elementary school fair back then... (gateway to the slippery slope)

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 83 49.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 34 20.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 40 23.7%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 43 25.4%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back