Tank Not Cycling :(

cbhance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So I completely let my tank go from the months of September-December. I didn't really have any livestock in the tank, but my light and fan died and I just let my tank sit.

I wanted to redo my tank and purchased a new fan, light, and pump. I kept the same live rock and sand that I had previously. I installed everything, rinsed off the live rock, and readied the live rock, sand, and new water to the tank. This was back in March.

I have done weekly water changes up to 50% since redoing my tank. I have green algae and diatoms that is growing in the tank on the rocks / sand. The main issue I am having is that my tank is not cycling. I am now roughly 2 months into the process and here are my current levels as of today:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

My local saltwater store suggested "One and Only" Live Nitrifying Bacteria which I have been adding for 2 months. The tank does not seem to level and cycle.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it the live rock / sand that I reused? Should I just continue to be patient with water changes?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using?
Did you add ammonia?

You have lots of nitrate, which would suggest the bacteria is present.

If you tank was very dirty before, I suppose it's possible there's a bunch of gunk trapped in the sand (not sure if you rinsed it or not).

If you want to add a bottled bacteria just to be safe I would use fritz turbo start or instant ocean bio-spira. They work much quicker than dr tims but really I would suspect a false ammonia reading (again, unless your sand is really full of gunk or you're adding ammonia).

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t have nitrates if your bacteria isn’t converting ammonia and nitrites, you’re cycled here. If you’re adding an ammonia source then stop.

Nitrates: These are not effectively removed from reef tank systems via bacteria. The bacteria that process these only do so under anaerobic conditions and even then are very slow at it. You’ll only effectively remove these via water changes or putting lights on that’ll fuel photosynthesis. You’ll get algae, it’ll consume the nitrates, and then you remove the algae.

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does "didn't really have any livestock" seems to suggest you had livestock, that it died and was left in the tank given how crazy high those nitrate levels are. Also a little concerning that ammonia is still running so hot... strikes me the sand retained all the junk!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the sand is the problem. Sand bed can absorb an incredible amount of nutrients. The sand animals died in it and it slowly release the nutrients back into the tank.
The only way to fix this is to replace or remove the sand.

VinnyBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like others said the sand likely contains an immense amount of nutrients. The fact your tank is able to convert to nitrates is proof the cycle is completed. Another thing to mention is since you’re using the same liverock they also absorb phosphates and it’s also possible they’re leaking phosphates back out. I would change out the sand and take it slow until things balance.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back