Tank upgrade process. Your thoughts on this process of moving corals and fish over to new tank.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank upgrade move and came up with this process and can’t find anyone that has done it this way and want thoughts on if this is smart or not. I’m upgrading from an approximate 75 gallon tank to an approximate 125 gallon tank. My thought is to set up the new aquarium with live sand and run a complete cycle. Once cycled, and confirm that the salt, alk, temps, ph are the same, complete a water change with all of the existing aquarium water and move the corals and fish over at that time. The existing lights will be transferred to the new tank with the addition of one more light at this time as well. Any suggestions?
Is the new tank going up in the same place?
BTW, Welcome!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done 2 moves to a larger tank- just put in new sand and added more live rock to the older that was going in and good to go. Done in few hours and no issues.
1724861488597.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you can move all the water from the existing tank at the same time as the corals but if you have matched parameters in the new tank then I would just move the rocks (presuming they are moving also?) and then the corals and finally the fish.

The old tank water will likely look dirty after moving things around and I would leave it in the old tank.

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank upgrade move and came up with this process and can’t find anyone that has done it this way and want thoughts on if this is smart or not. I’m upgrading from an approximate 75 gallon tank to an approximate 125 gallon tank. My thought is to set up the new aquarium with live sand and run a complete cycle. Once cycled, and confirm that the salt, alk, temps, ph are the same, complete a water change with all of the existing aquarium water and move the corals and fish over at that time. The existing lights will be transferred to the new tank with the addition of one more light at this time as well. Any suggestions?
Be there, done that.

75g to a 150g.

Your rock supports your fish now so why wouldn't it in a new tank?
Of coarse it will.
Some say new sand, some say rinse it out (either way it should be rinsed).

BTW, welcome to R2R.

Tips:
Blow off rocks with turkey baster a couple days in advance.

drain out water to new trash cans/buckets. Put coral/rock/fish in those buckets/cans.

Slide old tank out and new tank in.

Add rock/coral then water. Add rinsed sand, top off with new heated saltwater. Add fish.

Last edited:
Back