The 5 foot build… It’s happening!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s happening finally! After a year of saying I would do it it’s finally happening.

This week I’ll be tearing down my 4’ tank in preparation for the dream 5’ tank. So… this is the start of a new adventure!

Here’s a photo of my 4’ tank.
IMG_9803.jpeg

And the coral and fish I’m moving over into the 5’ once it’s running…

Starting with this beast, my Catalaphyllia jardinei
Photo for size, this coral is currently in my 3’ nano and taking over a huge section with his growth rate.
IMG_9764.jpeg

And a close up
IMG_9794.jpeg

Then, here’s the fish I’ll be moving over, get ready for a long list. But if you want to skip to see what I have with different species I will go by what family they are in :)
Starting off strong with the Angels but not just any, here’s a favourite… Ikea the Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens).
IMG_9449.jpeg

And the stunner that is my Navarchus Angel (Pomacanthus navarchus)
IMG_9450.jpeg

And last for the Angels is my gorgeous African Flame Back Angel (Centropyge acanthops).
IMG_9671.jpeg

Now we’re onto my Wrasse gang! These guys are 100% being moved over to this tank but I have one that will likely be going this weekend, my Jade Wrasse.
Here’s the first wrasse… my Carpenter’s Flasher (Paracheilinus carpenteri).
9AD05741-EF09-4596-ABF1-0F5F7CD3E5DF.jpeg

And always a fun one to see in display, my Rosey Veiled Fairy (Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa).
5AFCFD4F-CACF-4310-A9D1-BF744AB318DE.jpeg

Next up is the Koi Fairy (Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus once known as Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
IMG_9462.jpeg

And the last of the Fairies/Flashers is… the Yellow Fin Fairy (Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis).
IMG_8235.jpeg

Now, the last rock sleeper is my Cleaner (Labroides dimidatus).
IMG_8961.jpeg

And now we’re onto the Sand Sleepers!
Starting with my Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis).
IMG_8957.jpeg

Then, and this is an old photo as she hates being photographed, Xeni, my Gold Nugget Wrasse (Xenojulis margaritaceus).
IMG_8377.jpeg

Now for the fish that are more ‘odds and ends’ as I only have 1 from these families currently.

My absolute favourite fish, Yang, the Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus).
IMG_9263.jpeg

Then, the puppy of the tank, Marco, my Marcosi Tilefish (Hoplolatilus marcosi).
IMG_9251.jpeg

Yet another fish I don’t photograph nearly as much as I should, my stunning Yellow Longnose Butterfly, Jelly, (Forcipiger flavissimus).
IMG_8359.jpeg

And a fish I’m on the fence with, my Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus). I don’t know if I’ll keep him as I love him but I also love the idea of an Achilles and 2 tangs at once is not something I do.
IMG_0585.jpeg

And finally, onto the last 2 fish being moved over…
Starting with ‘Bites’ the Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion occelaris x Amphiprion percula).
IMG_9798.jpeg

And ending on a high with my Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus).
IMG_9795.jpeg

So, here’s to a new start with potentially more exciting fish and coral!!
For now whilst we wait until the tank is here, here’s a gorgeous grafted frogspawn :)
IMG_9799.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today will be the last day that the 4’ tank is up and running… Tomorrow it will be torn down and that area will be getting prepared for the 5 footer!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today will be the last day that the 4’ tank is up and running… Tomorrow it will be torn down and that area will be getting prepared for the 5 footer!
I was originally trying to figure if I could pull off a 6 footer/120 gallon but my wife gave me enough grief about the 90, as I said that I wanted a 75 at first. Looking forward to seeing this one’s progress!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally trying to figure if I could pull off a 6 footer/120 gallon but my wife gave me enough grief about the 90, as I said that I wanted a 75 at first. Looking forward to seeing this one’s progress!
A 6 foot tank was hoped for… Unfortunately there was no way it would’ve fit without removing a sofa.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the final FTS of the 4’ tank running.
IMG_9826.jpeg

And my favourite fish, this was the first fish to go into this tank 5 years ago. I know! I can’t believe it wasn’t a clownfish!
IMG_9827.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So seeing as I am considering doing the same. Where are you keeping everything during the move?
My hammer collection will be going into my nano along with some of the smaller species like the radiant, carpenter, flavidorsalis and maybe butterfly.
Then I also have my max nano which will hold the big boys like the Foxface, and the Xenojulis.
Then I also have a giant container to hold anything else (I.e. the tang, goby, and larger fairies)
I’m just glad it didn’t happen when I had 20+ fish in the tank as that would have been hell.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6 foot tank was hoped for… Unfortunately there was no way it would’ve fit without removing a sofa.
Ummm…you’re thinking of yourself before coral and fish? Whaaaatt….???
Just get a small loveseat. It’ll be fine…

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So seeing as I am considering doing the same. Where are you keeping everything during the move?
My last move was from a 60, so I just used a bunch of Rubbermaid storage bins and moved it all in a day.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last move was from a 60, so I just used a bunch of Rubbermaid storage bins and moved it all in a day.
I wish I could do this all in 1 day but unfortunately moving a 4’ tank is a pain as I learnt last time…

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess whilst we wait in suspense for this tank… let’s see what fish would be great choices!

Straight away I’m thinking potentially an Achilles in the future.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In! Looking forward to the build :cool:

Last 2 moves I just kept everything in 30 gal totes for about a week, works for me.

20230830_184936.jpg
Thankyou for joining the journey!

I’m so glad to have a thread that isn’t started half way through the tank’s life haha.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess whilst we wait in suspense for this tank… let’s see what fish would be great choices!

Straight away I’m thinking potentially an Achilles in the future.
Any thoughts? @Slocke

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say you guys all worked to get me to page 13 before the tank arrived on my last build thread.

Goals Slip GIF by The Roku Channel
You’ve got time ;)

The cabinet should come home on Saturday and the tank next week - possibly Monday or Tuesday.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back