"The Cove" Build Journey (IM 50 EXT connected to WB 20 Mantis/Fuge Display)

OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS base rock and sand en route to be picked up tomorrow. Very excited to get the system finally in the cycle phase.
IMG_9084.png

I also got the 20 gallon display Refugium plumbed to the main tank and this time with no leaks. The first time I hit hit a hiccup with a leaking 1” bulkhead on the overflow.
IMG_9074.jpeg

I also added an XP8 since I knew I would need the extra AC controllable outputs.
IMG_9072.jpeg

And of course I have the tunnel way made for our Purple Spot Mantis friends we plan to keep in the display fuge.
IMG_9082.jpeg

It’s all coming together.
Next up will be a in depth on the 1st package of TBS shipment.
IMG_9076.jpeg

OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The exciting trip to the airport and picking up 150lbs worth of rock and sand. Tampa Bay Saltwater definitely delivered the goods. Extremely happy with what I got so far. More photos and video will follow when I discover more hitchhikers.

I couldn’t get great pictures of everything I seen first hand but it was loaded with all kinds of crustaceans, sponges, macro, and I can hear our little shrimp friends snapping away.
IMG_9089.jpeg

I love the touch of gift and humor! Yes! pop rocks!

IMG_9090.jpeg

Double insulated thick plastic bags holding 35lbs of their Ultra Live Sand.
IMG_9092.jpeg

It’s good to follow directions
IMG_9093.jpeg

I love the 5 gallon buckets they use to package the rock in full of water.
IMG_9095.jpeg

I had to give it about 48 hours for the tank to clear before I could get a better look of the rock. This is only 35lbs of base rock and it still looks amazing! I still have 35lbs of premium coming!
IMG_9111.jpeg

IMG_9121.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg
IMG_9112.jpeg
IMG_9116.jpeg

I also added a few smaller pieces to the display refugium / mantis tank which I will be adding more to during package 2.
IMG_9108.jpeg
IMG_9110.jpeg
IMG_9109.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I bet the premium will be even better. Has there been anything interesting that you have seen crawling around yet?
I have seen a mini octopus and some crabs and I can hear a few pistol shrimp snapping but they are great hiders. Oh, and I have a butt load of barnacles on the rocks waving their little fan like tails in the current lol

OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Kessil a160we Tuna Sun mounted with a shade over the refugium. I’m sure this will help light this 26” mangrove I have coming next week.

I think I’ll keep the AI prime on the Refugium for now. I added some feather calurpa and a Fuzzy Corky Sea Finger Gorgonian and a few smaller corals.

Oh and I almost forgot! I added Dom the Damsel! He will be the only fish present in this tank and hopefully he won’t become fish bait for the mantis when he comes. We like to call him Dom “The Demon” Damselfish. He’s a really cute guy. I know these fish don’t get much love since they are a little swimming devil so I had to give him a chance. He blends in with the black background so he’s not easy to get a on camera.
IMG_9262.jpeg
IMG_9263.jpeg

IMG_9236.jpeg
IMG_9240.jpeg

OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octo 110-sss is already pulling out a good amount of gunk. Also needed to run my CO2 scrubber due to my PH falling around 7.89 overnight. Getting a good amount of moisture in the scrubber so I'll need to diy some kind of moisture trap between the collection cup and scrubber. I'm also thinking about adding on the "Swabbie" by Avast Marine Works. I messaged them to see if it would fit this particular skimmer.

Only one week away until TBS Package 2 comes. I ordered 10 more pounds of ultra live sand and I have 3 cups of Keys mud and 3 plants of turtle grass coming from John at Florida Pets. The live sand and mud should help the mangrove along. I know these trees don't like to be move around much.

Sump 9_1_24.jpg

OP
OP
mikesreef83

mikesreef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got more mud!! I received the shipment in for mud and turtle grass from John at FloridaPets. He was awesome to deal with and super nice guy. Shipped it super fast and got everything alive and well. The mud smell was nasty and pleasant at the same time. I know that sounds weird but you can smell that ocean in it and holy crap did it make the tank crazy merks!!

So, I tried to cover as much of the base of the mangrove as I could with the mud and cap it off with some sand but there is an issue. It's piled up so thick it's sliding into the openings of the PVC tunnels for the mantis. So now I'm thinking of carefully and slowly raising the PVC tunnelway and rocks to add allow more sand bottom evenly on the bottom of the whole tank.

Floating the grass for now until things clear up and I can actually see to sow them in the sand.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back