lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Isn't it better to dose calcium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate?
I have dosed potassium nitrate for almost 15 years and no issues. I considered switching but as the saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I do monthly ICP tests and potassium is always spot on so the extra dosing must be good otherwise I would probably be low.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed potassium nitrate for almost 15 years and no issues. I considered switching but as the saying goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I do monthly ICP tests and potassium is always spot on so the extra dosing must be good otherwise I would probably be low.
I dose calcium nitrate. I wonder if there are any differences. Does one just have more potassium? One have more calcium? Sorry I am not any where close to a chemist lol.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Isn't it better to dose calcium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate?
I dose chaetogrow and florin.

Its basically the same what I use for macros.

When I'm cleaning the pot I add a few drops.

1000072942.jpg

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool setup! how long have you had them?
Around 1 year.
I grow in fresh water though.
Sometimes I even throw a plant food.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, out of 10 black mangroves (Avicennia germinans), I had 4 survive. Most came in with a heavy load of spider mites, which unfortunately killed some before I realized what was going on, and severely stunted 3/4 of the survivors. What is neat though, is that those 3 restricted new paired sets of leaves where the originals fell off, so should hopefully branch at those points.

Out of 8 oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza), only 3 survived, as they also got infested with the spider mites from the black mangroves before I realized what was going on. I also think they had originally been sprouted in freshwater, which made them take a hit, and they were shipped from Hawaii, and got a bit of damage during shipping. The survivors are growing nicely however!

The sea grape tree (Coccoloba uvifera) is doing really well, though growing slowly. It lost a couple leaves initially that had been damaged in shipping, but has new growth off both growth points! Seems completely fine growing in full strength seawater (1.025) with the roots only half-submerged.

And lastly, in my 240 gallon FOWLR, the red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) continue to thrive. Some have roots almost 4' long now, tangled through the rocks and around equipment. 2 of the 6 have even began to grow new branches! Out of the original 6, all 6 are still growing nicely, and 4 of the 6 are now tall enough to grow right out of the 75 gallon sump/refugium.

20240705_194907.jpg

20240706_233020.jpg

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, out of 10 black mangroves (Avicennia germinans), I had 4 survive. Most came in with a heavy load of spider mites, which unfortunately killed some before I realized what was going on, and severely stunted 3/4 of the survivors. What is neat though, is that those 3 restricted new paired sets of leaves where the originals fell off, so should hopefully branch at those points.

Out of 8 oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza), only 3 survived, as they also got infested with the spider mites from the black mangroves before I realized what was going on. I also think they had originally been sprouted in freshwater, which made them take a hit, and they were shipped from Hawaii, and got a bit of damage during shipping. The survivors are growing nicely however!

The sea grape tree (Coccoloba uvifera) is doing really well, though growing slowly. It lost a couple leaves initially that had been damaged in shipping, but has new growth off both growth points! Seems completely fine growing in full strength seawater (1.025) with the roots only half-submerged.

And lastly, in my 240 gallon FOWLR, the red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) continue to thrive. Some have roots almost 4' long now, tangled through the rocks and around equipment. 2 of the 6 have even began to grow new branches! Out of the original 6, all 6 are still growing nicely, and 4 of the 6 are now tall enough to grow right out of the 75 gallon sump/refugium.

20240705_194907.jpg

20240706_233020.jpg
Ever tried Grey Mangroves? (avicennia marina) they are the only species found in nz where I live. I guess they must be similar to black mangroves, being from the same genus.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever tried Grey Mangroves? (avicennia marina) they are the only species found in nz where I live. I guess they must be similar to black mangroves, being from the same genus.
I have not, I have not seen them for sale here in the US. I'll probably try white mangroves at some point, though from what I can find, they'll probably grow better planted like the sea grape then they would a red mangrove or oriental mangrove. Seems they don't really like being submerged.

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, I have not seen them for sale here in the US. I'll probably try white mangroves at some point, though from what I can find, they'll probably grow better planted like the sea grape then they would a red mangrove or oriental mangrove. Seems they don't really like being submerged.
I have a bunch growing near my house in mud, I think they just need their pneumatophore roots poking out of the water.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this online, but they all look the same to me lol.
check.jpg
I think white has no visible aerial roots (they grow in higer altitudes than red and black), black are the ones to shed leaves from the salt, and red have tangled prop roots.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps with species, I'll show the 3 species I grow, using pics from Google.

Red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) are most common here in the US by far. They do not require misting or planting in the substrate. These are the mangrove tree most people think of when they hear the word mangrove, and have the "traditional" mangrove roots.

FL_FS7A0174.jpg

Red_mangrove,_Rhizophora_mangle_flowers.jpg
91wQqBsBV+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Black mangroves (Avicennia germinans) would be the next most common. They have much smaller propagules, need to be planted in substrate to do well, and have pneumatophores instead of the traditional prop roots most people think of when they hear the phrase mangrove. They require misting at least every few days if kept indoors.

c9e3a0eb-3230-495d-a1c7-fe66ed6ef05a_shutterstock_2090879389_5aacc165_750x400.jpg

large (2).jpg
Avicennia_germinans-fresh-wide.jpg

Oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza) are much less common here in the US, available from growers in Hawaii. These grow similar to red mangroves, with tighter roots. They do require misting every few days if grown indoors. They have large, pointed leaves. Propagules are smaller than those of red mangroves, but much larger than those of black mangroves or white mangroves.

153405610400940065 (1).jpeg
Bruguiera_gymnorrhiza (1).jpg

s-l1200.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it may not be a mangrove, but as long as it's grown with just the roots submerged, the Sea Grape Tree (Coccoloba uvifera) is another excellent choice, at least from my experience growing one. I do mist mine every few days, since I'm unsure how it would do without misting, and I grow it in the same space as my black mangroves and oriental mangroves.
Awesome large, very round leaves, and they even grow edible purple fruit! I can also rinse and use the leaves that are shed in my dart frog enclosure which is pretty nice. Can't imagine a more classic tropical look than one of these growing on the beach in the Caribbean.

delray-beach-historical-society-blog-seagrape-img-1-1024x597.jpg
Coccoloba-uvifera-1.jpg

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it may not be a mangrove, but as long as it's grown with just the roots submerged, the Sea Grape Tree (Coccoloba uvifera) is another excellent choice, at least from my experience growing one. I do mist mine every few days, since I'm unsure how it would do without misting, and I grow it in the same space as my black mangroves and oriental mangroves.
Awesome large, very round leaves, and they even grow edible purple fruit! I can also rinse and use the leaves that are shed in my dart frog enclosure which is pretty nice. Can't imagine a more classic tropical look than one of these growing on the beach in the Caribbean.

delray-beach-historical-society-blog-seagrape-img-1-1024x597.jpg
Coccoloba-uvifera-1.jpg
Let's see yours

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see yours
Just a little guy, but you can see the new growth tips, and coloration remains good. Leaves are nice and full, no wilting or withering. Very slow grower, but hopefully it takes off soon! Transition was a bit rough on it so between shipping and acclimating to saltwater it lost a few leaves. Most available are sprouted and grown in freshwater. Would probably have grown faster if I had purchased seeds and sprouted them in sand using saltwater, but you live and learn. I may attempt doing so, and try with some white mangroves at the same time since the white mangroves already sprouted are also usually sprouted in freshwater.

20240705_194907.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps with species, I'll show the 3 species I grow, using pics from Google.

Red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) are most common here in the US by far. They do not require misting or planting in the substrate. These are the mangrove tree most people think of when they hear the word mangrove, and have the "traditional" mangrove roots.

FL_FS7A0174.jpg

Red_mangrove,_Rhizophora_mangle_flowers.jpg
91wQqBsBV+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Black mangroves (Avicennia germinans) would be the next most common. They have much smaller propagules, need to be planted in substrate to do well, and have pneumatophores instead of the traditional prop roots most people think of when they hear the phrase mangrove. They require misting at least every few days if kept indoors.

c9e3a0eb-3230-495d-a1c7-fe66ed6ef05a_shutterstock_2090879389_5aacc165_750x400.jpg

large (2).jpg
Avicennia_germinans-fresh-wide.jpg

Oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza) are much less common here in the US, available from growers in Hawaii. These grow similar to red mangroves, with tighter roots. They do require misting every few days if grown indoors. They have large, pointed leaves. Propagules are smaller than those of red mangroves, but much larger than those of black mangroves or white mangroves.

153405610400940065 (1).jpeg
Bruguiera_gymnorrhiza (1).jpg

s-l1200.jpg
Great info, for those that don’t know the reason red mangroves don’t need misted is because they actually expel the salt from their system through sacrificial leaves. I’m always pulling them out of my sump so they don’t get stuck in my pumps. The other species need misting to wash the salt off their leaves as they expel it through the leaves themselves and don’t have sacrificial leaves. So if a leaf turns yellow on you red mangrove don’t worry that is perfectly normal. Also wait for it to drop on its own as you want it to collect as much salt as possible before falling off.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back