Thoughts on canopy cooling with these...

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7B66337-D52D-4799-A706-BF46BF33A929.jpeg
Just installed this.

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 15 months of continuous use, I thought that I would do an update on these fans that I installed. https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AIRPLATE-Thermostat-Cabinets/dp/B00QFWWZQO?ref=ast_p_ep
I must say that my feelings have not changed one bit. These are excellent and resilient fans for the money. There are fans that move more air for the size of the fans themselves, however, for the form and looks these can't be beaten. There is a bit of rust on the inside blade guards and the exterior grates but it is negligible. If it really bothers me I will remove the inside blade guards as there is nothing that will be contacting the blades from the inside of the canopy and I might sand and paint the exterior grates in another six months or so. I finally ended up having a pair pushing into the canopy and a pair pulling. The digital controller/thermostat has been flawless. There is a bit of minor corrosion on the chrome USB male plugs that are somewhat exposed at the connections are not sealed and one set on the fans for daisy-chaining but this was to be expected. As well, I put silicone lubricant on the mounting screws exposed on the interior of the canopy to stop corrosion.
They are still dead silent, look nice, and do the job well. Any old school canopy owners needing additional cooling, I highly recommend these and the price is great!
Below you can see the minor rusting on the blade guards and outside grate as well as the silicone grease on the screws.
Fan guards.jpg
fan grate.jpg

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 15 months of continuous use, I thought that I would do an update on these fans that I installed. https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AIRPLATE-Thermostat-Cabinets/dp/B00QFWWZQO?ref=ast_p_ep
I must say that my feelings have not changed one bit. These are excellent and resilient fans for the money. There are fans that move more air for the size of the fans themselves, however, for the form and looks these can't be beaten. There is a bit of rust on the inside blade guards and the exterior grates but it is negligible. If it really bothers me I will remove the inside blade guards as there is nothing that will be contacting the blades from the inside of the canopy and I might sand and paint the exterior grates in another six months or so. I finally ended up having a pair pushing into the canopy and a pair pulling. The digital controller/thermostat has been flawless. There is a bit of minor corrosion on the chrome USB male plugs that are somewhat exposed at the connections are not sealed and one set on the fans for daisy-chaining but this was to be expected. As well, I put silicone lubricant on the mounting screws exposed on the interior of the canopy to stop corrosion.
They are still dead silent, look nice, and do the job well. Any old school canopy owners needing additional cooling, I highly recommend these and the price is great!
Below you can see the minor rusting on the blade guards and outside grate as well as the silicone grease on the screws.
Fan guards.jpg
fan grate.jpg
Thanks for the original post, and then doing the update. I am thinking about putting these in my canopy, but wasn't sure if they were just another cheap product being hocked by Amazon. Good to know someone has already done the research for me. Again, many thanks.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice long term review. that's always helpful, and I've been thinking about a similar mod. I'll add that I have a similar set in my TV stand (stereo receiver and xbox inside) from coolerguys.com (looks like they are still around) that has been running quietly on 2-speed temperature control for about 4 years. I've all but forgot I put it in. Admittedly, not a moist environment.

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the original post, and then doing the update. I am thinking about putting these in my canopy, but wasn't sure if they were just another cheap product being hocked by Amazon. Good to know someone has already done the research for me. Again, many thanks.
Happy you found it helpful. If or rather when these fail, as I'm sure they will at some point, I will replace them with the same thing.

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice long term review. that's always helpful, and I've been thinking about a similar mod. I'll add that I have a similar set in my TV stand (stereo receiver and xbox inside) from coolerguys.com (looks like they are still around) that has been running quietly on 2-speed temperature control for about 4 years. I've all but forgot I put it in. Admittedly, not a moist environment.
Can't speak to the coolerguys fans you have but these Airplate's have been great at 18 months now and still going strong.

justusgra1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan guards.jpg
fan grate.jpg

I am thinking about putting these in my canopy

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if i can find a way to control these without their controller? I will be adding a Humidity module to my reef angel controller, and want to kick fans on when a humidity of a certain level is detected... hmmm i wonder if that can be done to connect this to the 12 volt DC module... ideas!

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if i can find a way to control these without their controller? I will be adding a Humidity module to my reef angel controller, and want to kick fans on when a humidity of a certain level is detected... hmmm i wonder if that can be done to connect this to the 12 volt DC module... ideas!
Shouldn't be a problem. They have fans without the controller for cheaper. They just have a switch for H,M,L. Might take a little DIY but I think easily dooable. https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/#scroll

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be a problem. They have fans without the controller for cheaper. They just have a switch for H,M,L. Might take a little DIY but I think easily dooable. https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/#scroll
ill have to see once i get my hands on the actual module and what id have to DIY for connectors, but shouldnt be too hard. Never met a soldering iron i didnt like! Could work out well for sure,

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solder, nectar of the electrician gods...

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solder, nectar of the electrician gods...
Thers nothing a good resolder dont fix ha! Thanks for turning me on to these, as nice as the controller is, im hoping i can find a way to get the tank controller to do it. really opens up some programming options. Ill have a temp probe and humidity probe in the canopy, so all kinds of possibilities.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks amazing, but sadly it's just too big for my canopy.

I will need to find a way to mount some smaller fans to push some air around in the back.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan guards.jpg
fan grate.jpg
I finally DIYs these this weekend in my planet tank
I think we have different definitions of dead quiet

I’m disappointed in the results - because of this thread recommendation and my understanding of PC cooling fans I expected this to be extremely quiet

For what it’s worth I tested both of these before mounting and they were noisy then too. The only time they were quiet was when they were not attached to the mounting plates and harness

They will serve as chillers if needed but they’re louder than the LED fans so I can’t see myself using these to cool the canopy.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back