Thoughts on UV sterilizer worth it?

Bigreeflittlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i ordered a UV sterilizer for my 200 gallon it’s been recommended by a lot of people, does it help stop ich? Pros and cons? What would you guys say

OP
OP
B

Bigreeflittlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not eliminate ich. It can help manage it is all. Personally (I'll probably be attacked) I think it's the most overrated piece of equipment you can buy unless dealing with dinos.
Really you don’t think it’s worth it? Does it atleast help keep the tank clean reducing cleaning the glass alittle?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely help with parasites and algae control. Good to have but not required. It won't kill ich but will help keep the population down. For downsides it's more equipment to maintain and it will
Increase water temperature a bit.

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using one for my 115 gal mixed reef 3 years ago. It’s helped control cyano outbreaks and keeps algae to a minimum in the display (along with a scrubber in the sump. I had to clean the crystal sleeve often at first, now just 1-2 times a month. Definitely recommend.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really you don’t think it’s worth it? Does it atleast help keep the tank clean reducing cleaning the glass alittle?
Depending on flow it can help with this or that. Plenty have praised it ability to provide clear water. Beyond that and uses for dinos I think it's snake oil. That's just me though.

OP
OP
B

Bigreeflittlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using one for my 115 gal mixed reef 3 years ago. It’s helped control cyano outbreaks and keeps algae to a minimum in the display (along with a scrubber in the sump. I had to clean the crystal sleeve often at first, now just 1-2 times a month. Definitely recommend.
Hmm aslong as it has some type of benefiting factor and less work cleaning the glass constantly which is a hassle in this size tank

OP
OP
B

Bigreeflittlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 7 years old. Never get algae issues, never disease issues, never cyano issues, never had a UV. Water is always clear.
Never owned one my last tank was 75 gallons but the water was never ultra Clear no matter what i did reason in trying to make go different on this

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never owned one my last tank was 75 gallons but the water was never ultra Clear no matter what i did reason in trying to make go different on this
If you have a purpose and a plan, there's no reason to stray from it. If it helps, then it's justified. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sitting on shelf. I bought them several years ago to help with algae. I noticed no difference so I pulled them when the bulbs were do to be replaced. I never used them for disease. I think QT with copper and fallow period is more effective.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm getting one for my build. I probably will, as there is a type of Dino it's VERY effective on. It'll most likely be installed in a closed loop and only used occasionally. My last tank did just fine without it.

Rach77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have two small 20 gallon tanks, just got back in the hobby. I added UV sterilizer/filter combo to both tanks 6 months in. Best thing I ever did. Helps to maintain clarity of water, algae growth, and increased flow. No downsides so far. Corals seem to be more open.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 16 20.0%
Back