Tips on getting new fish to eat fast

Oliver199234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on getting new fish to eat fast? I always placed them in my quarantine tank. 2 feet long, only put 2 fish at a time.

It took me 5 to 6 days to get new fish to eat except for hardy fish like clownfish

Certain tangs tend to take time like bristletooth tang, powder blue. Surprisingly, blue tang and purple tang are eating like pigs on the second day.

Sometimes I have tried giving them nori, drop some garlic on top of it. It just doesn't work for me.

Is there anything I can do?

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any tips on getting new fish to eat fast? I always placed them in my quarantine tank. 2 feet long, only put 2 fish at a time.

It took me 5 to 6 days to get new fish to eat except for hardy fish like clownfish

Certain tangs tend to take time like bristletooth tang, powder blue. Surprisingly, blue tang and purple tang are eating like pigs on the second day.

Sometimes I have tried giving them nori, drop some garlic on top of it. It just doesn't work for me.

Is there anything I can do?
Live brine shrimp if your LFS have any will get them all eating. Oyster feast is another really great option. Adding Selcon to the food normally gets them going too.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to feed at the same time every day, that way they know and expect, and they have very good internal clocks.

I would also suggest not to stand by the tank when you feed but take a few steps back.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bring a new fish home and when I am moving them for maintenance or to a new location I hold them in my hand and tell them that I am going to take good care of them, explain that I expect them to live and eat what I offer them and they generally respond well to the directions I give to them.

Most fish are worried that we might eat them. I explain to them their role in the display tank and ask them to eat and not worry and get sick.

Am I crazy? People talk with their dogs and cats but they give their fish the silent treatment ? Try the silent treatment today with your significant others and see how they respond.

Talk with your pets. They deserve the attention.

OP
OP
O

Oliver199234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine shrimp if your LFS have any will get them all eating. Oyster feast is another really great option. Adding Selcon to the food normally gets them going too.
wow I haven't thought of oyster feast. I was using frozen brimp shrimp. Maybe it's time to find live brimp shrimp. Thanks.

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish really like frozen mysis. Depends on the fish of course. So many different types of feeders… most butterfly fish will feed on something completely different from an anthias to start off. And of course there’s an exception to every rule, a pyramid butterfly and a lyretail anthias will want the exact same type of food. Know what kind of feeder you have and start from there.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 49 24.1%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.4%
Back