Torn about rock choice for first reef tank

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Eden makes the best synthetic rock on the market hands down. Makes caribsea look like litter box cat turds…

I think only premium aquatics carries it

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d recommend Tamp Bay live sand. As much as you can afford. Most of the bacteria imo is in the sand. Don’t clean it. It’s delivered like coral and placed directly into your tank.

Rock is up to you. I added a few lbs of live rock but don’t think it’s essential. I have mostly Marco. Live rock is better, but even more expensive and can come with more unwanted guests. Just my 2c

kourtnee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dry rock in my display and seeded my sump with live rock rubble from TBS. I had some pest issues early on (cirolanid isopods, poly clad flatworm, gorilla crab) but they’ve been irradiated by now and I’m glad I have the biodiversity of live rock.
You could do a combo like I did… get a majority of dry rock and a small 5lbs rubble box from TBS. Less space for pests, but still come wild critters and diverse nitrifying bacteria.
do you have any pictures of the rock you received from TBS?

likemike99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all depends on if you want quicker or mroe reliable. the live rock will get you up and running faster but if you have an issue are you prepared? the dry rock ( i would use marco- I still have some of his fiji rock from 10yrs ago- absolutely beautiful) will be a safer bet for no parasites but since it is not seeded with the live bacteria it will take longer for you to be able to fully stock your tank. I do not think there is a "right" answer, (like most of the hobby) but more of works best for you. we are all different people- risk taking, skill, time aloted...

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note: Most of the carib sea stuff is man made, non porous stuff. Marco rocks is actual prehistoric coral. So while not alive, it is at least real. If you want to make an aquascape I would use Marco and also live rock and or sand/rubble. If you did not want to do a premade aquascape, I would go with all live rock. There is so much life, you may not want to add anything else for a while, especially in a nano where you can see the details better.
Don't be fooled with the illusion that by starting out with a sterile (dry rock) tank you will be spared of pests, It is not true.
But the most important reason to use live rock, rubble or sand is the diverse biome you will get from the ocean. You will not get that even from sump live rock from your LFS. LFS biome is different and not as diverse as the oceans.

shrimplover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of the discussions on this topic and I don't mean to offend anyone by posting more on this topic but I really need to get this off of my chest and I need help weighing my options. I want to apologize beforehand if I mess up any terminology.

Anyway, I am trying to decide between Marco rocks dry, caribsea dry live, and live Florida ocean rock. (or if you have another recommendation, include that below)

Caribsea - I've heard good things about it from my lfs, and this was my initial pick, because it's on so many YouTube videos. Now, the downsides (from what I have seen) are the price and the supposed algae and dino outbreaks caused by it.
MarcoRocks - Marco rocks has really good reviews on BRS, and I love that it's pretty much sterile, it's the cheapest of the 3, and it seems to be the easiest to scape (and most attractive scape imo), but the downsides are the little bacteria (meaning longer cycle) and similar to caribsea I've read about algae outbreaks on the forum.
Live Florida Ocean rock - I've heard mostly good things about this rock, but I'm having a hard time getting around the steep price and the insane amount creatures coming in on that rock (both good and bad) and I don't know if I wan't to deal with that. The pros are the very short cycle, the minimal algae (from what I've read on the forum), and I guess the established look.

For a little more context, I am setting up a red sea max nano g2 cube (20 gallons), It's going to be mostly softies and lps, and I'm planning on a clownfish pair, obviously some sort of cleanup crew, and possibly a goby (or something along those lines). The tank has aio filtration (no sump). If I were running a sump I would go with dry rock in the tank and the Florida live rock in the sump, but for this situation, I just have no idea. Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.
UNPOPULAR BUT MODERN OPINION!

Hi, prior to setting up my two tanks I watched the whole BRStv series experimnet on biomen and the tanks with dry rock actually did GREAT. They didn't get as pesty as the ones with live rock. To avoid hithc hikers and pests I chose dry rock (it was Arka Reef rock for me) for both tanks and I kept the lights off for a few month until a healthy biomen had established. I didn't even go through the ugly fase!!!! The rocks soon had some pretty nice alage growth on them. I never had issues with cycling neither. I used live sand from caribsea. Now a year later rocks are starting to grow coralline, sand is still as white as the day it came out of the box,

So many old fahsioned people that might not have read up on "new ways" will tell you that dry rock sucks. But reality is that it works great - with lot less pest issues.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I dont think the amount of rubble that Ive seen advertised is actually enough to do what it's claimed to do because of competition between bacteria...in addition to the fact that the bacteria youll get are primarily going to be living on the surface of the rock so spreading throughout the tank isnt particularly easy. Just my thoughts.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNPOPULAR BUT MODERN OPINION!

Hi, prior to setting up my two tanks I watched the whole BRStv series experimnet on biomen and the tanks with dry rock actually did GREAT. They didn't get as pesty as the ones with live rock. To avoid hithc hikers and pests I chose dry rock (it was Arka Reef rock for me) for both tanks and I kept the lights off for a few month until a healthy biomen had established. I didn't even go through the ugly fase!!!! The rocks soon had some pretty nice alage growth on them. I never had issues with cycling neither. I used live sand from caribsea. Now a year later rocks are starting to grow coralline, sand is still as white as the day it came out of the box,

So many old fahsioned people that might not have read up on "new ways" will tell you that dry rock sucks. But reality is that it works great - with lot less pest issues.
Instead of a "modern" opinion, it just sounds more like an opinion led by a company. It is interesting that you seem to be one of very few who used all dry rock and didn't have an "ugly phase" though.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back