Ugly stage or Dinos

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Tank is a month old, I used dry rock and a load of wet rock in sump. I did a fishless cycle using dr Tim’s ammonia and tank has been ammonia free and nitrite free last week. I’ve started to get brown golden algae on my rocks and sand! Some on Fb say dinos but some say it’s normal and to get CUC and ride it out!

Any advice welcome, I’ve never had an ugly stage doing freshwater and this is my first reef tank!

I’ve scrubbed some of it off the larger rock on top and it’s easily removed. As stated tank is only a month old and no fish or CUC as yet. 90L Aqua One MiniReef.

IMG_1805.jpeg IMG_1820.jpeg IMG_1819.jpeg IMG_1818.jpeg IMG_1816.jpeg IMG_1817.jpeg

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guaranteed you will get 10 out of 20 apposing opinions on this. The only way to know is to extract a sample and view it under a microscope. Likely that you got that reply on FB also. If you don't have one and not keen on buying one, perhaps there is someone close by who has one and can assist. You will need to take pics and video for reference so bare that in mind.

But if I look briefly at your pics I would suggest this is diatoms flairing up and nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guaranteed you will get 10 out of 20 apposing opinions on this. The only way to know is to extract a sample and view it under a microscope. Likely that you got that reply on FB also. If you don't have one and not keen on buying one, perhaps there is someone close by who has one and can assist. You will need to take pics and video for reference so bare that in mind.

But if I look briefly at your pics I would suggest this is diatoms flairing up and nothing to worry about.
So just part of being a new tank and expected? Going to get some CUC today hopefully. Maybe a few hermits and snails

AAAReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% chance it’s diatoms, they’re normal for everyone and the first type of life you get when cycling. They happen as a result of silicates in the system and will go away once all the silicates in your system deplete in a week or two.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have left the lights off for the past month since nothing is in the tank.

Personally I would hold off on cuc until you get green algae.... diatoms feeds off silicates in new sand, they die off on their own after a couple of weeks once the silicates supply is consumed. Astrea snails are the only snail I'm aware of that eats diatoms, most others eat green algae, so they will go hungry in your tank.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20241017_195814.jpg
same process as you did. This was about 1.5 weeks after the peak of the diatom bloom. 2+ weeks after, they are all gone. I did add a snail only cuc and accidentally ODed on phytoplankton (30x) and no issues.

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have left the lights off for the past month since nothing is in the tank.

Personally I would hold off on cuc until you get green algae.... diatoms feeds off silicates in new sand, they die off on their own after a couple of weeks once the silicates supply is consumed. Astrea snails are the only snail I'm aware of that eats diatoms, most others eat green algae, so they will go hungry in your tank.

Lights have been off, only had them at 30% for last few days as someone kindly gave me a few frags. Would it do any harm cleaning up a bit?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning it up is really not necessary. As stated, once the silicates are gone, so are the diatoms. Diatoms use silicates to build their cell wall. If ya got the cash, a microscope is really helpful. Look under my own threads for Microscope Recommendation (or some title name like that). There you'll find some great recommendations.

Edit: Here it is.....

Thread 'Microscope Recommendation' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscope-recommendation.1067333/

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning it up is really not necessary. As stated, once the silicates are gone, so are the diatoms. Diatoms use silicates to build their cell wall. If ya got the cash, a microscope is really helpful. Look under my own threads for Microscope Recommendation (or some title name like that). There you'll find some great recommendations.

Edit: Here it is.....

Thread 'Microscope Recommendation' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscope-recommendation.1067333/

Will try and ride it out! Might get a silicate testing kit in case my RO isn’t as clean as I’m made to believe (LFS Water) I’m changing where I get my water from anyway as there’s a spotless water dispenser near me and it’s cheaper.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try and ride it out! Might get a silicate testing kit in case my RO isn’t as clean as I’m made to believe (LFS Water) I’m changing where I get my water from anyway as there’s a spotless water dispenser near me and it’s cheaper.
If possible, you should invest in an RODI!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back