Unknown growth on glass

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this could be? Popped up on my glass within a couple days.

IMG_6975.jpeg IMG_6974.jpeg

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have cerith snails in my tank. What’s the recommendation with these? Should I isolate them like I would fish eggs to have them hatch? Or just let them be? Is this something I want hatching?

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these everywhere. Lol. It’s with nerite, cerith or nassaurius because those are the snails I have.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggs, but I do not think it is Cerith, they have a solid line that zig zags
Different species of Cerith snails:
Mexican Cerith Snail Eggs:
iu
iu

Caribbean Cerith Snail Eggs:
iu
iu
OP, I would expect these to hatch and promptly die - either being eaten, removed by filtration, starving, etc.

I'm only aware of one species of Cerith snail that has been purposefully reared in captivity before, but if you wanted to try raising them, you would need a simple, small tank to safely try rearing them in.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different species of Cerith snails:

OP, I would expect these to hatch and promptly die - either being eaten, removed by filtration, starving, etc.

I'm only aware of one species of Cerith snail that has been purposefully reared in captivity before, but if you wanted to try raising them, you would need a simple, small tank to safely try rearing them in.
I have Caribbean ceriths and they successfully breed in my tank just fine. Granted maybe one in a hundred makes it but that's the same as in nature. My turbos have spawned twice (broadcast spawned) and today I found a tiny one on my glass though it could be nerite not quite sure yet.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Caribbean ceriths and they successfully breed in my tank just fine. Granted maybe one in a hundred makes it but that's the same as in nature. My turbos have spawned twice (broadcast spawned) and today I found a tiny one on my glass though it could be nerite not quite sure yet.
Yeah, I've occasionally heard of survivors in people's tanks, but it's not common for pelagic larvae - it's common for benthic larvae though.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ceriths that came in on live rock. Live rock only went into my sump. I now have them in my display and just last night found their eggs on my display tank glass.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ceriths that came in on live rock. Live rock only went into my sump. I now have them in my display and just last night found their eggs on my display tank glass.
Now I'm really curious if the Caribbean Ceriths have benthic larvae; some snails in the hobby do, but it's not super common for snails generally.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm really curious if the Caribbean Ceriths have benthic larvae; some snails in the hobby do, but it's not super common for snails generally.
I am new to all of this and still trying to research. I will have to go back and try and figure out if there was another way they could have come into the display. I do know the first tiny Ceriths snail I found in the display, it was less than 1/4 of a grain of rice. I know I never perched any and later found 6 or seven in the sump full sized.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back