OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every system reacts differently but my doses were big at 8ml per 100 ltr whereas previously it was dosed with my ato at 1ml per day so ph never shifted
It’s only getting 13ppm I wanted to bring it down to 5 that I dosed big not realising the impact
Oh well , lesson learnt
Ph is creeping up now so will check kh tomorrow see if it’s dropping

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I dose ammonia bi-carb and use Vodka to keep the nitrates in check, my PH has remained constant. Granted I have only been dosing Vodka for 8weeks.

The CO2 produced tends to lower pH. The extent of the effect depends on many factors, including the amount used and the extent of tank aeration.

DeepSea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every system reacts differently but my doses were big at 8ml per 100 ltr whereas previously it was dosed with my ato at 1ml per day so ph never shifted
It’s only getting 13ppm I wanted to bring it down to 5 that I dosed big not realising the impact
Oh well , lesson learnt
Ph is creeping up now so will check kh tomorrow see if it’s dropping
I am dosing 5ML for 450l. Thanks for the info good to know.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally ignore the fact my overdosing of NoPox may have contributed to my low pH :thinking-face:

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 5ML for 450l. Thanks for the info good to know.
Yeah that’s a maintenance dose , I stopped dosing 6 weeks ago and my nitrates wouldn’t rise above 0.5 which was borderline dino territory so I started dosing a little no3 but then it’s not stabilising instead rises more than I’d like

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe vinegar is the worst culprit
If memory serves me right. NoPox being a mixture of vinegar and vodka or something similar perhaps contributes less acid then similar dosage of straight vinegar to effect same carbon load to drop nitrates. No clue how vodka affects carbonates and might be wrong on the that and typically beyond the weeds I normally dig into. Fact it works tends to be enough for me.

Randy,

Is the vodka a sugar or something else in NoPox? Now I'm curious although mostly to avoid passing along nonsense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me right. NoPox being a mixture of vinegar and vodka or something similar perhaps contributes less acid then similar dosage of straight vinegar to effect same carbon load to drop nitrates. No clue how vodka affects carbonates and might be wrong on the that and typically beyond the weeds I normally dig into. Fact it works tends to be enough for me.

Randy,

Is the vodka a sugar or something else in NoPox? Now I'm curious although mostly to avoid passing along nonsense.

Nopox is partly ethanol (as in vodka) and partly acetic acid (the ingredient in vinegar). It has much lower amounts of ethanol and isopropanol, probably there to denature the ethanol and render it undrinkable and untaxable.

In the end, all of it can end up as CO2. Vinegar just puts the pH drop up front and ethanol is more later.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox is partly ethanol (as in vodka) and partly acetic acid (the ingredient in vinegar). It has much lower amounts of ethanol and isopropanol, probably there to denature the ethanol and render it undrinkable and untaxable.

In the end, all of it can end up as CO2. Vinegar just puts the pH drop up front and ethanol is more later.
Am I correct in assuming sugar dosing then same affect as ethanol or does fermenting change the amount of carbon added and/or later affect on co2? Always wondered why some dosed sugar direct.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back