Water level issues in pump chamber of aquatop recife 40

GooseDoesReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers, I have been experiencing issues maintaining a comfortable water level in the pump chamber of my aquatop tank. I was wondering if this could be an issue with the pump since its flow rate is 475 gph, or if it has to do with the media baskets in the back of the tank. I have already removed the stock sponge and replaced it with a filter floss holder, but there have been no changes in the water level. Would you recommend replacing the pump with something less powerful or a different option?

OP
OP
GooseDoesReefing

GooseDoesReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may work but the water level in the pump chamber returns to a normal state once the pump is turned off, I feel that there may be an underlying issue either with flow or pump power in the integrated filter chambers.

bruceosterberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is what I did. I bought an axis 40, it fits perfectly in the 40 Aquatop. I set it to 40 percent flow, I now have a great waterfall in my overflow box and a steady level in my pump return chamber. Since I cycled my tank with 40 lbs of live rock, I did not use any of the 4 boxes in the filter media chamber. But I did add a reefNRoll fleece roller in the overflow sump.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did. I bought an axis 40, it fits perfectly in the 40 Aquatop. I set it to 40 percent flow, I now have a great waterfall in my overflow box and a steady level in my pump return chamber. Since I cycled my tank with 40 lbs of live rock, I did not use any of the 4 boxes in the filter media chamber. But I did add a reefNRoll fleece roller in the overflow sump.
Interesting. I've had trouble in my recife with surface scum and I think it may be due to insufficient flow. Did upgrading the pump help with this issue?

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue when I first started mine. It always happened to me when the black sponge got full of crap. I now lower the black sponge and cut 3 sheets of filter floss and throw it on top. I change out the floss every 3 days. This solved the issue, but you must stay on top of it!

bruceosterberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. I've had trouble in my recife with surface scum and I think it may be due to insufficient flow. Did upgrading the pump help with this issue?
Yes it did. The AI40 is about the same gph rating as the Aquatop pump. But since it is a dc pump you van control the volume. I have mine set at 40 percent speed. This causes less water to be pumped in, and the overflow now works properly. Remember to use the plastic overflow screen that came with the Aquatop.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it did. The AI40 is about the same gph rating as the Aquatop pump. But since it is a dc pump you van control the volume. I have mine set at 40 percent speed. This causes less water to be pumped in, and the overflow now works properly. Remember to use the plastic overflow screen that came with the Aquatop.
Awesome my friend. I really appreciate your response! I will most definitely be making this purchase

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uses the cheap Jerepet dc pump on Amazon. I have had it a year and still going strong.

In my opinion the stock pump puts out nowhere near what it's rated for.

Get rid of the baskets and use mesh bags. Change floss every day to 2 days depending on how quickly it gets clogged.

Redsea has a new nano fleece roller that would solve all our problems but $$$$$

I also have the in tank skimmer that I use to get the right display level.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uses the cheap Jerepet dc pump on Amazon. I have had it a year and still going strong.

In my opinion the stock pump puts out nowhere near what it's rated for.

Get rid of the baskets and use mesh bags. Change floss every day to 2 days depending on how quickly it gets clogged.

Redsea has a new nano fleece roller that would solve all our problems but $$$$$

I also have the in tank skimmer that I use to get the right display level.
The intank skimmer is awesome. It can keep your surface clear too. But it would get moved by snails or fish etc. Then that would affect the water level in the ato chamber, causing salinityfluctuations for me. Are you able to keep yours in place?

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intank skimmer is awesome. It can keep your surface clear too. But it would get moved by snails or fish etc. Then that would affect the water level in the ato chamber, causing salinityfluctuations for me. Are you able to keep yours in place?
So this system keeps you between a rock and a hard place. The skimmer allows you to set your dc pump at a slower flow to give water more time in your filter section while keeping film off the surface.

The other option is no skimmer and higher flow on your dc pump to increase surface skimming. The problem here is if your filter floss clogs then it will cause your return section to empty quicker because of the higher flow rate. This dumps more ATO water thus creating the same problem as a snail raising or lowering your skimmer.

The almost fool proof option I have found is lower flow and gluing the skimmer in place. (I have not tried this but in theory....)

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this system keeps you between a rock and a hard place. The skimmer allows you to set your dc pump at a slower flow to give water more time in your filter section while keeping film off the surface.

The other option is no skimmer and higher flow on your dc pump to increase surface skimming. The problem here is if your filter floss clogs then it will cause your return section to empty quicker because of the higher flow rate. This dumps more ATO water thus creating the same problem as a snail raising or lowering your skimmer.

The almost fool proof option I have found is lower flow and gluing the skimmer in place. (I have not tried this but in theory....)
Yes! You totally get this, and I appreciate your detailed response. I have thought of gluing the skimmer in place also. I also tried to think of any reason why this wouldn't work, but I do think it will. And you're right that the higher flow causes a quicker filter clog.

I've had "some" success reducing surface scum with flow and agitation, but it's no where near as effective as the skimmer clip. I think I'll glue the clip and swap out the stock return pump with one that is adjustable.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JEREPET 520GPH 20W 9FT Aquarium 24V DC Water Pump with Controller, Submersible and Inline Return Pump for Fish Tank,Aquariums,Fountains,Sump,Hydroponic,Pond,Freshwater and Marine Water Use https://a.co/d/84zjwOU

I bought this a year ago and it's still quiet and going strong. (Knock on wood)

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JEREPET 520GPH 20W 9FT Aquarium 24V DC Water Pump with Controller, Submersible and Inline Return Pump for Fish Tank,Aquariums,Fountains,Sump,Hydroponic,Pond,Freshwater and Marine Water Use https://a.co/d/84zjwOU

I bought this a year ago and it's still quiet and going strong. (Knock on wood)
Wow, nice price too. I really appreciate that, my friend. You've definitely been helpful with this. I'll let you know if I decide to glue it also.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice price too. I really appreciate that, my friend. You've definitely been helpful with this. I'll let you know if I decide to glue it also.
Same! I will likely try it my next water change when I can drop the level below the overflow.... (Well If not the next then def one of the 5 after that lol)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back