OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d ignore the silicate. Only drawback to high silicate is diatom growth, and if that’s not a problem, then there’s no concern.
Thanks Randy.

Additional questions; do you think it’s better to dose Nitrate & Phosphate, or keep using ReefRoids?

What calibration fluid should I use for my refractomometer? Lastly, do you think I should switch to Moonshiners? Vs Tripic Marin A&K and additional traces?

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it was a ATI ICP they also did your RO/DI water what was the results of that? Also do you have a mix station if yes then consider doing a ICP on your mix station. Need to find where it deviates from a pure RO/DI water and reef crystals mix. Reef Crystals is the IO red bag and the purple bag is regular IO. The Red reef Crystals has added Calcium , Magnesium and has higher Alk plus I find that it has higher trace elements. The purple bag is just generic saltwater mix without the added elements and closer to regular sea water.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it was a ATI ICP they also did your RO/DI water what was the results of that? Also do you have a mix station if yes then consider doing a ICP on your mix station. Need to find where it deviates from a pure RO/DI water and reef crystals mix. Reef Crystals is the IO red bag and the purple bag is regular IO. The Red reef Crystals has added Calcium , Magnesium and has higher Alk plus I find that it has higher trace elements. The purple bag is just generic saltwater mix without the added elements and closer to regular sea water.
Stew, thanks for the info. Very helpful!

I ran two ICPs, ATI & Fauna Marin, both checking my tank water and top off/mixing water. Both results came back negative for everything. (Both tests are attached, one via link the other as PDF).

I do not have a mixing station, I do not dose Bromine or magnesium. And those are also sky high.

About a week ago I started dosing A&K, I think that has Bromine in it, but it was high before I started dosing Tropic Marin.

My tank looks good, corals are nice and happy. Color could be better, but it has good coloration.

I’m not really stressed about it. I’ve only been feeding for a few years. But I’ve learned to just take things slow. I’ll get it sorted out. I’m really just looking for guidance and knowledge.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* reefing for a few years*

Im more concerned with the SG being off. I read Randy's article about making homemade calibration fluid/solution, unfortunately all I have is Himalayan sea salt.

I just tested both refrac. testers I have with tap water. Zero'd them and then tested my water, both tested my tanks SG at 1.026 and 1.0255.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out my magnesium issue. Mixed up some saltwater for a water change, Instant Ocean. ( thought it was the purple, but I remember switching due to magnesium test months ago) Anyways, the orange bucket, freshly mixed saltwater is I’ll the chart for magnesium. I’m not sure it’s Instant Ocean & Reef Crystals both have quality escapes? I’ve been using both salts for years, off and on. This is the 1st tank I have had issues. And it’s been since day one. About 3 buckets in total.

What salts mix do you guys use? I’m thinking of tropic Marin possibly. (If I don’t go moonshiners)

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back