What Are You Testing?

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my water parameters every 5 days,my tank is SPS and Chalice's.There are 4 things I test for and thats it,so Im wondering if there is something else others test for that maybe I should.My routine is every 5 days I test P04,MAG,CA,and DKH.All the test are done with Salifert test kits except for the p04 which is done with a Hanna Checker.I don't worry about ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates as I can usually tell if algae pops up that it is time to check for those three.I do a 15g WC every 2 weeks on my 50g cube so water quality is as good as it can gets:wink:I also run these 4 test on my mixed water before the WC and also do a TDS check with a digital TDS meter before mixing the RO/DI water with salt:wink:so if there is anything that is being left out that you test for and think I should, or it just makes you feel better about your tank I would love to hear it:bigsmile:

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also test for iodine, maintining the correct level helps with the corals color

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First the rule is if you do not test for it do not add it!! Which I break with Iodine and Strotium, but I add half of what the instructions say and only half the time. Otherwise I test PH with a meter everyother day, Alk, and Ca once a week, Mg and trates strips, NO is always 10 once every 4 weeks, but I know my tank chemical consumption, I dose in my MUW Kalk, use RC salt, and do 3qts a day water change. I run carbon and GFO in a reactor 24/7, I have not tested PO4 in about a year but my tank is not an algae problem, use Randy's recipes as needed.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also test for iodine, maintining the correct level helps with the corals color
Interesting,I will definitely read up on that.I thought I read somewhere that Iodine was more for softies??I may be wrong as I usually am:tongue:

First the rule is if you do not test for it do not add it!! Which I break with Iodine and Strotium, but I add half of what the instructions say and only half the time. Otherwise I test PH with a meter everyother day, Alk, and Ca once a week, Mg and trates strips, NO is always 10 once every 4 weeks, but I know my tank chemical consumption, I dose in my MUW Kalk, use RC salt, and do 3qts a day water change. I run carbon and GFO in a reactor 24/7, I have not tested PO4 in about a year but my tank is not an algae problem, use Randy's recipes as needed.
I read about if you cant test for it dont dose it and that is something I do live by.The only chemicals I add to my tank at the moment are BRS 2-part w/mag,fish food,and Oyster Feast.

slovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am too lazy to test for anything. :( However, my corals do a great job of letting me know if something isn't right. ;)

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test alk occasionally but I pretty much just observe my corals and I can tell whats going on.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test alk occasionally but I pretty much just observe my corals and I can tell whats going on.
I go with the eyeballer thing on algae related issues with my tank but I dont want to wait until I see something wrong with my coral to run test:)

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tested phos and nitrates for the first time since my tank has been up in feb. of this year still have not tested ca alk or mag no need I do water changes every week and everything is doing great. when testing my phos it was un detectable on the elos kit and nitrates were also low I dose mag and ca alk but little amounts. and every other week.

I know it is a reefers NO NO

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 187 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back