Which hydros doser for All-for-reef?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the 2 standalone dosing pumps would be better for dosing all-for-reef in my IM Nuvo 50 ext ? The simple doser or the 2 ml/min doser? I'll run it off my hydros launch so I have plenty of drive ports. I'd also like it to be quiet because this is in my bedroom.

I read the simple doser has a minimum 2.5 seconds so I'd run the all-for-reef diluted some to get smaller amounts. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for your 50g I would imagine you will be running about 5ml to 30ml, depending on your coral load. I run 28ml in my 40g and my doser does that for a couple hours before lunch. The 2ml a minute doser is probably not what you need because it is a one rate pump controlled time. The other I think is a one rate also, but you have more control with the hydros app.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for your 50g I would imagine you will be running about 5ml to 30ml, depending on your coral load. I run 28ml in my 40g and my doser does that for a couple hours before lunch. The 2ml a minute doser is probably not what you need because it is a one rate pump controlled time. The other I think is a one rate also, but you have more control with the hydros app.
Ok thanks I'll go with the simple doser. You dose all yours in one go each day?

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it runs for a few hours. for your application, you could break it up through out the day because it is still one rate. (I believe?) I use a Versa so I can chose how many ML per min.
IMG_0003.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I'll go with the simple doser. You dose all yours in one go each day?
The simple doser has a minimum on time of 2.5 seconds each dose and has a flow rate around 43ml a minute. So make sure you dose will be long enough for it to run for at least 2.5 seconds. The lower the on time the less accurate your dose will be on any dosing pump. The 2ml a day dosing pump may match you needs better for this if you have a Launch or XP8 outlet you can use. You do not want to use one on a Hydros wifi power strip. I dose All For Reef but I use one of my XP10 pumps set to a flow rate of 10ml a minute and do 4 doses a day. I also mix it half strength when making it so that allows me to double the dose at the pump. Back when I started dosing it the dosing pump I was using would only run at 25ml a minute or above and my tank is only 42 gallons.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my All For Reef schedule. I use dynamic dosing using the alkalinity test results. The doses listed are total doses for the duration of the schedule. I have them split into 4 doses which happens after my AWC. The alkalinity test happens just before the AWC. So id do 4 alkalinity test, 4 AWC's and 4 All For Reef doses a day. Below that is a log of my All for Reef dosing output. To begin with I started mixing it half strength and never went to full strength so my doses are double what would be used at full strength.

IMG_1311.png

IMG_1312.png

IMG_1310.png

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my All For Reef schedule. I use dynamic dosing using the alkalinity test results. The doses listed are total doses for the duration of the schedule. I have them split into 4 doses which happens after my AWC. The alkalinity test happens just before the AWC. So id do 4 alkalinity test, 4 AWC's and 4 All For Reef doses a day. Below that is a log of my All for Reef dosing output. To begin with I started mixing it half strength and never went to full strength so my doses are double what would be used at full strength.

IMG_1311.png

IMG_1312.png

IMG_1310.png
Awesome thanks for sharing, I may be copying that programming same day. Is this testing using a pre-production Maven or some other tester?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for sharing, I may be copying that programming same day. Is this testing using a pre-production Maven or some other tester?
I have a iV and X10 that does the alkalinity testing.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722 That is so much glorious automation. What do you use for the AWC?
Maven looks super cool so I might shell out for that bad boy some day.

So the 2ml/min doser can't be connected via a drive port? I do have another AC outlet but was hoping to save it. Also, any idea what tubing connects to it? or how I could connect 1/4" RO Tubing?

Thanks for your input. I think I'm sold on the 2ml/min pump now.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, it runs for a few hours. for your application, you could break it up through out the day because it is still one rate. (I believe?) I use a Versa so I can chose how many ML per min.
IMG_0003.png
im rocking the versa too. I split mine into 4 doses throughout the day. I started off with a kamoer F1 on the same schedule without any issues.
IMG_3082.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722 That is so much glorious automation. What do you use for the AWC?
Maven looks super cool so I might shell out for that bad boy some day.

So the 2ml/min doser can't be connected via a drive port? I do have another AC outlet but was hoping to save it. Also, any idea what tubing connects to it? or how I could connect 1/4" RO Tubing?

Thanks for your input. I think I'm sold on the 2ml/min pump now.
I use a Minnow for AWC but I have a smaller tank. It is just 42 gallons. The 2ml doser has an AC plug. I think the motor is also an AC motor. When I get a Maven I plan on using the calcium test to dynamic dose All For Reef instead of alkalinity. I will keep the KH buffer on dynamic dosing using alkalinity.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Minnow for AWC but I have a smaller tank. It is just 42 gallons. The 2ml doser has an AC plug. I think the motor is also an AC motor. When I get a Maven I plan on using the calcium test to dynamic dose All For Reef instead of alkalinity. I will keep the KH buffer on dynamic dosing using alkalinity.
I guess a minnow might work for my 50 gallon too. My setup is about 50 gallons of total water. I'll try to read your tank thread and see how you got it setup.

So you need KH buffer as well? hmm...

I can't figure out what tubing I need for the 2 ml/min doser. I am reading I need to buy this tubing https://www.coralvue.com/kamoer-x1-x4-dosing-pump-tubing, but I can't find it anywhere practical.. I also want to connect the dosing line to my sumps built in RO tubing holder. tough stuffff.

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im rocking the versa too. I split mine into 4 doses throughout the day. I started off with a kamoer F1 on the same schedule without any issues.
IMG_3082.png
If you can be so kind to share how you split the dose? While the versa has some positive aspects. The manual or lack there of... is not one of them. I know I went into custom mode to set the time, but I didn't see a way to add another time to dose.
TIA

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you can be so kind to share how you split the dose? While the versa has some positive aspects. The manual or lack there of... is not one of them. I know I went into custom mode to set the time, but I didn't see a way to add another time to dose.
TIA
You click on the slider on the left to set another dose and it will start another interval.
IMG_3083.png

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my adventure to find tubing that works with my dosing container/dosing line holder and this hydros 2 ml/min doser I have found a thread that someone reported you can use this 1/8" ID vinyl tubing to connect over the included barbs on the doser and into 1/4" RO push to connect fittings.

My question now is if I set it up this way will I still get accurate doses? Can you calibrate a one rate pump?

The tubing - https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/1...UGm_Ppi0cSMQuQo6oj8iSfvVtpnm2e8IaAhAVEALw_wcB

Thread with info about kamoer dosing line - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kamoer-x1-to-1-4”-tubing.900997/page-2

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my adventure to find tubing that works with my dosing container/dosing line holder and this hydros 2 ml/min doser I have found a thread that someone reported you can use this 1/8" ID vinyl tubing to connect over the included barbs on the doser and into 1/4" RO push to connect fittings.

My question now is if I set it up this way will I still get accurate doses? Can you calibrate a one rate pump?

The tubing - https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/1...UGm_Ppi0cSMQuQo6oj8iSfvVtpnm2e8IaAhAVEALw_wcB

Thread with info about kamoer dosing line - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kamoer-x1-to-1-4”-tubing.900997/page-2
Calibration is built into the Hydros. What you do once the pump and tubing is primed is run the calibration and it will run the pump for one minute. You measure it and tell the Hydros how much was dispensed. Hydros will then use that value to calculate how long the pump needs to run to dispense a given amount. To check it do a flow catch of a given amount and check the amount. I usually use the one minute amount which would be 2ml in this case. The Hydros will adjust the runtime to dispense 2ml.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration is built into the Hydros. What you do once the pump and tubing is primed is run the calibration and it will run the pump for one minute. You measure it and tell the Hydros how much was dispensed. Hydros will then use that value to calculate how long the pump needs to run to dispense a given amount. To check it do a flow catch of a given amount and check the amount. I usually use the one minute amount which would be 2ml in this case. The Hydros will adjust the runtime to dispense 2ml.
Thanks :) Would you think connecting vinyl tubing with 1/4" OD to a push to connect fitting is going to give me air leaks at some point? I could just run the line down into the water.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) Would you think connecting vinyl tubing with 1/4" OD to a push to connect fitting is going to give me air leaks at some point? I could just run the line down into the water.
My ATO and AWC pumps are in the garage and I use 1/4 RODI tubing run up through the attic between the tank and the garage when the pump are located, The tank is 35ft from the garage where the pump are at. I have not had any issues with the 1/4" tubing or fittings. I also use it between the X10 and the sump for my All For Reef dosing and also the alkalinity testing. So far no issues. Once the lines are run though they usually do not get touched unless I have an issue with a pump. Then only at the pump.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back