Would You Rather...Dinos or Tank Leak?

Would you rather deal with a Dinoflagellates outbreak or a tank leak? Share why in the comments!

• I would rather deal with a Dinos outbreak!

Votes: 207 88.1%
  • I would rather deal with a tank leak!

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 9 3.8%

• Total voters

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you must never had a really bad outbreak or you only had ostreopsis dinos, the easiest to get rid of, with just a simple UV filter. But prorocentrum grows on rocks glass and sand, doesnt migrate to water column, and you can only beat them with silicate and nutrient dosing over a very long time table. Its a long drawn out battle that sucks.
agreed. my prorocentrum took the better part of 14 months to overcome.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept nanos with fuses for nearly two decades now. I have had to fight Dinos again and again. They are beatable. Albeit they will probably also take out some of your cleaning crew and my coralline algae also typically took a heavy hit or was wiped out. They are a pain but it is doable.

Never had to use a UV sterilizer. Problem is they are really good at using light in low nutrient periods to outcompete everything. So I typically get the nutrients high and cut the lighting (sometimes blackout). I don't think they are out competing your other algae I think they are out competing your bacterial population -so it feels more like having a tank crash than an algae issue. Just my opinion.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to experience both of these options within the past year. I have to admit that the dinoflagellates are a nuisance, but they are not a complete financial burden. I am still in what feels like a recovery phase from my tank breaking.
Can I ask how tank broke? I am afraid it may happen to me. I cant locate the leak! Water is just building up on the rim where the bottom of tank meets the stand. If I cant figure it out soon I am afraid its goin to rot the stand and weaken it and just fall and break! Its an old tank I think I bought it 5 years ago used!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how tank broke? I am afraid it may happen to me. I cant locate the leak! Water is just building up on the rim where the bottom of tank meets the stand. If I cant figure it out soon I am afraid its goin to rot the stand and weaken it and just fall and break! Its an old tank I think I bought it 5 years ago used!
I had one of the first 100 Red Sea Reefer 200xl ever made. There ended up being an issue with the silicon seals on these models and mine was one of the tanks that failed because of this issue. My tank was within a month or two of it being 3 years old when it failed.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone Please tell me how to locate a leak that only has the rim of my tank wet! Where the bottom of the tank meets the top of the stand! Theres about 1/4 to 1/2 space there and its always wet and so are my floors! Should I try to dry it out and silicone the bottom of tank to the rim of the stand! I am baffled!
Silicone will not seal to older silicone, if it is leaking at the bottom rim the tank needs to be disassembled all old silicone removed and cleaned then re-siliconed. I have done this and not had any issues but it is very time consuming.

Back