Help Torch retracting

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi , I know this type of topic has been posted before . I searched and read previous threads didn’t find any answers helpful in my situation.

please let me know how you think . Why the tiger torch tentacles are not extending

I had this tiger torch about two months . It started to retract about two weeks ago . Other torches close by seems ok . No other corals sting it . I dipped it to coral rx yesterday. Nothing came out and not helping

the parameters are

Ph 8.25
Temp 78.5
Alk 8.48
Mag 1350
Ca 481
Nitrate 11
PO4 0.1- 0.2

Please help
1, what can I do to help the tiger and make it happy
2, why only this one failing , I have 9 others doing well except one dragon soul also a little retracting , but not this bad
3, all my fish are tangs , chromis and clown fish . Nobody bothers torch .

thx for reading , any suggestions I appreciate
824DCCFF-C5B6-4B80-A6EF-DCC04E5B6D80.jpeg

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it retracting or sucked in? Does the flesh still fully cover the base? Does it ever fully extend?

In my experience, the tigers seem to like to be by themselves. I’d move it and see if that helps.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes the flesh still cover the base. Tentacles either curved or stuck with each other . Even when it was happy . Only half extended out . Half tucked in . I’ll try to move it and see

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Melhe, is it like this for days at a time or just a few hours?

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend moving if it is doing the curling tentacle thing. Mine was doing something similar every day when it was brushing a couple other torches. I’m pretty sure they were irritating each other as they started doing better once separated.

This is what mine used to do:
34C3027F-50E8-4043-BC35-601AD6C0FB8A.jpeg

902AA2EC-1220-4E69-A8E8-EE650B1B9CBF.jpeg

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Is it retracting or sucked in? Does the flesh still fully cover the base? Does it ever fully extend?

In my experience, the tigers seem to like to be by themselves. I’d move it and see if that helps.
You might be right . It started to retract since I added torch on the left . They had been touching each other until it retracted . I thought it’s ok for torch touching . I am wondering why tiger is so sensitive. I just moved it to a new place ( not far from chalice . I am running out of empty spaces ) but it’s much taller than chalice . I hope it’s getting better

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I would recommend moving if it is doing the curling tentacle thing. Mine was doing something similar every day when it was brushing a couple other torches. I’m pretty sure they were irritating each other as they started doing better once separated.

This is what mine used to do:
34C3027F-50E8-4043-BC35-601AD6C0FB8A.jpeg

902AA2EC-1220-4E69-A8E8-EE650B1B9CBF.jpeg
Yeah , mine is like that . I just moved it . Will update u next a few days hope it gets better

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right . It started to retract since I added torch on the left . They had been touching each other until it retracted . I thought it’s ok for torch touching . I am wondering why tiger is so sensitive. I just moved it to a new place ( not far from chalice . I am running out of empty spaces ) but it’s much taller than chalice . I hope it’s getting better
I’ve had lots of trouble with torches stinging each other, even the ones that are supposed to get along.

The usual rule of thumb is indos can touch indos, aussies can touch aussies.

Hopefully the move will help. As long as it’s not losing flesh, it should be alright. If it seems to get worse, I’d try an iodine dip and look for euphyllia eating flatworms.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve had lots of trouble with torches stinging each other, even the ones that are supposed to get along.

The usual rule of thumb is indos can touch indos, aussies can touch aussies.

Hopefully the move will help. As long as it’s not losing flesh, it should be alright. If it seems to get worse, I’d try an iodine dip and look for euphyllia eating flatworms.
Ok will buy iodine today I thought coral rx kill flatworms

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will buy iodine today I thought coral rx kill flatworms
I just saw in the your first post you checked for flatworms. I missed that my first read. I think the coral Rx would show any flatworms.

I’d wait to see if it opens up today before dipping in iodine.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So it only half opened and the side close to chalice still curved in . I just moved chalice will check tomorrow . Can’t believe tiger torch is so sensitive

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I know this type of topic has been posted before . I searched and read previous threads didn’t find any answers helpful in my situation.

please let me know how you think . Why the tiger torch tentacles are not extending

I had this tiger torch about two months . It started to retract about two weeks ago . Other torches close by seems ok . No other corals sting it . I dipped it to coral rx yesterday. Nothing came out and not helping

the parameters are

Ph 8.25
Temp 78.5
Alk 8.48
Mag 1350
Ca 481
Nitrate 11
PO4 0.1- 0.2

Please help
1, what can I do to help the tiger and make it happy
2, why only this one failing , I have 9 others doing well except one dragon soul also a little retracting , but not this bad
3, all my fish are tangs , chromis and clown fish . Nobody bothers torch .

thx for reading , any suggestions I appreciate
If I can just piggy back off your post, didn’t want to create a new one when I seen yours and having possibly the same issue.
The head on the left hasn’t fully extended and has noticeable discoloration on the skeleton.
It’s about 5” away from a bubble coral. The flesh seems healthy
433CC735-4FA0-405D-96CE-35B0E8669791.jpeg

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If I can just piggy back off your post, didn’t want to create a new one when I seen yours and having possibly the same issue.
The head on the left hasn’t fully extended and has noticeable discoloration on the skeleton.
It’s about 5” away from a bubble coral. The flesh seems healthy
433CC735-4FA0-405D-96CE-35B0E8669791.jpeg
Could be the same problem with mine ? Does the torch below touching it ?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back