Help Torch retracting

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230313_145748.jpg

Mines been doing the curling for a long time, it was only one side of the colony and now its affecting more heads. I've moved it to the frag tank on the same system away from the other torches that are fine. How long before it opens up again? I'm sending out an icp later this week.
Does it do that all the time? Mine do after feeding. It looks like it may be contacting that torch next to it? What is that torch?

SimonMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that was an issue in this case but in my country most of tiger euphyllias are sold as "euphyllia crisitata tiger" which belongs now to totally diffrent genus Fimbriaphyllia. Euphyllia crisitata sometimes can look very similar to torch but being touched by euphyllia glabrescens will probably slowly kill this coral. I think it's good to be careful with it;).

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My torches close up before I can squeeze any food out, the torches are healthy so the lighting is enough I guess. If I stick the feeding tube in the torch while it’s closed, when it opens it just lets all the food go. My bubble corals and mushroom coral love the stuff. Super beefy
When spot feed , don’t touch its tentacles, keep feeding tube a little above the torch , so it will grab the food . Of course after feeding , the tentacles won’t be extended as before . But next day will be back to normal .

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
20230313_145748.jpg

Mines been doing the curling for a long time, it was only one side of the colony and now it’s affecting more heads. I've moved it to the frag tank on the same system away from the other torches that are fine. How long before it opens up again? I'm sending out an icp later this week.
Mine took two days to extend more . Probably 3 weeks completely recovered .

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I don't think that was an issue in this case but in my country most of tiger euphyllias are sold as "euphyllia crisitata tiger" which belongs now to totally diffrent genus Fimbriaphyllia. Euphyllia crisitata sometimes can look very similar to torch but being touched by euphyllia glabrescens will probably slowly kill this coral. I think it's good to be careful with it;).
No wonder mine doesn’t like to be touched . Thx for the info

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it do that all the time? Mine do after feeding. It looks like it may be contacting that torch next to it? What is that torch?
Yes all day and night. I've had it for years and this has recently changed but did start around the time I put that other shorter tentacled torch in front of it. I'll update in a few weeks after it's been by itself. Maybe up the GAC amount t as well.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes all day and night. I've had it for years and this has recently changed but did start around the time I put that other shorter tentacled torch in front of it. I'll update in a few weeks after it's been by itself. Maybe up the GAC amount t as well.
What’s parameters? Did u doing cpi testing regarding trace elements

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could figure out why torches always die in my system. I have tried many with all the same fate. They look great for 3 weeks then slowly start shriveling up every day until they are dead. Sps, LPs, Gonis, hammers, and frogspawn all do great in my tank.

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend moving if it is doing the curling tentacle thing. Mine was doing something similar every day when it was brushing a couple other torches. I’m pretty sure they were irritating each other as they started doing better once separated.

This is what mine used to do:
34C3027F-50E8-4043-BC35-601AD6C0FB8A.jpeg

902AA2EC-1220-4E69-A8E8-EE650B1B9CBF.jpeg
I
I haven’t noticed anything like that with my tigers an they all touch, all super plump competing for space
IMG_0530.jpeg

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This!, they tend to do this when theyre upset.

A) Brushing against another Torch that is 'unfriendly', basically shooting him with toxins. Theyll either tend to die or get used to it with discomfort. I tend to get a 30% survivability rate if I leave them side by side. Thus now the moment I see this happen and its a new torch, its off to a new plot of land.

B) Could be an irritant in the water column itself. Have had issues with heavy metals before and ICP confirmed it and they would randomly start displaying this behavior. Solution - Ran poly filter through the outflow to remove whatever is in the water. Now run some polymer based gel beads that have helped significantly and dont require constant change. Torches have been doing good, moved 11 Torches and 15 hammers or so last night to a new tank and didnt change the water in the previous housed 20 gallon they were in for 1.5 months and the new tank they are huge today morning.

C) The worst of the worst, they have started getting a 'flu', some bacterial infection has started. You have to keep a close eye on this because I have had times before where I saw them 'flashing' like this and when I got home from work at night, corners of the flesh have started showing the satanic Brown Jelly Disease. Solution - Keep tabs of CIPROFLAXIN(yes please those that are against it dont bash me, but it has really saved my tank and I will stand by it), Once A & B have been indefinitely eliminated as the cause. START THE ANTIBIOTIC DOSE because now you are waging war with something that will slowly demolish all in your tank - Coral Wise. *Detailed information of CIPRO dosing can be found in this forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
mine definitely would to category A. It went back to normal after I placed it alone in the tank

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back