Help Torch retracting

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can just piggy back off your post, didn’t want to create a new one when I seen yours and having possibly the same issue.
The head on the left hasn’t fully extended and has noticeable discoloration on the skeleton.
It’s about 5” away from a bubble coral. The flesh seems healthy
433CC735-4FA0-405D-96CE-35B0E8669791.jpeg
That left head looks like it has some flesh recession. How much flow is that head getting? Does it have any neighbors?

In my experience, recession like that is usually caused by damage, such as falling off a rock, spending time tipped over in the sand bed, or sometimes stinging.

Are you able to test? Alkalinity, salinity, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, magnesium?

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will post more photos after fully extend . I think u are right . Tiger torch like to be alone and not being touched by other torches . Today it’s definitely better .
Great news! I just had to pull some sponge that was touching mine and causing it to close up. They do seem extra sensitive for some reason.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That left head looks like it has some flesh recession. How much flow is that head getting? Does it have any neighbors?

In my experience, recession like that is usually caused by damage, such as falling off a rock, spending time tipped over in the sand bed, or sometimes stinging.

Are you able to test? Alkalinity, salinity, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, magnesium?
Alkalinity / DKH : 8.2 - 214
Salinity : 35ppm
Phosphate : 1.0-2.0
Nitrate 10-20ppm
Calcium : 400-450
Magnesium : on my to get list. When I purchased it, the person putting it in the bag dropped it in and the green tips popped off. I wanted to slap him :)
The torch is next to a pearl bubble coral
And I removed all anemones from the tank

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the same problem with mine ? Does the torch below touching it ?
Wasn’t touching it but was pretty close. I removed it and put it in another tank. When I purchased it, it was also sitting in the middle of other torches and hammer coral. I’m hoping it’s just a new head that is still developing

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can just piggy back off your post, didn’t want to create a new one when I seen yours and having possibly the same issue.
The head on the left hasn’t fully extended and has noticeable discoloration on the skeleton.
It’s about 5” away from a bubble coral. The flesh seems healthy
433CC735-4FA0-405D-96CE-35B0E8669791.jpeg
Depending on the flow direction from your bubble coral that is potentially within stinging range. I have a Aussie bubble coral that killed off an indo torch branch that grew too close. It was a small branch and died in the course of a few days.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t touching it but was pretty close. I removed it and put it in another tank. When I purchased it, it was also sitting in the middle of other torches and hammer coral. I’m hoping it’s just a new head that is still developing
The new science and classification suggests torches should never be placed touching the other types of euphyllia coral (frogspawn, hammers, octospawn) some LFS still fail to seperate them in store tanks.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The new science and classification suggests torches should never be placed touching the other types of euphyllia coral (frogspawn, hammers, octospawn) some LFS still fail to seperate them in store tanks.
I learned hard way , I think once they touched skeleton. It’s gone . I had a torch tentacles touched skeleton of a hammer . The hammer died within a week . When hammer tentacles extended during daytime , it can defend itself . When it closes up at night exposed skeleton Before torch goes to sleep, it becomes the problem. Now I group the torches separately away from hammers and frogspawn. Tiger still not happy with other torches . Too much science and knowledge to be learned.

Last edited:

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned hard way , I think once they touched skeleton. It’s gone . I had a torch tentacles touched skeleton of a hammer . The hammer died within a week . When hammer tentacles extended during daytime , it can defend itself . When it closes up at night exposed skeleton Before torch goes to sleep, it becomes the problem. Now I group the torches separately away from hammers and frogspawn. Tiger still not happy with other torches . Too much science to knowledge to be learned.
dang so I could lose one of the heads? If so it won’t spread to the other head would it? Or should I split the coral now?

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
dang so I could lose one of the heads? If so it won’t spread to the other head would it? Or should I split the coral now?
Yours doesn’t look bad at all , my hammer once got touched . Skeleton turned white and flesh melt super quickly and spreaded whole colony . I couldn’t save any heads . I am not sure your torch skeleton being touched . I think if just tentacles being touched , it might get p..sed off and not extending much as used to . Maybe a new place and observe would be enough , like my tiger torch .

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity / DKH : 8.2 - 214
Salinity : 35ppm
Phosphate : 1.0-2.0
Nitrate 10-20ppm
Calcium : 400-450
Magnesium : on my to get list. When I purchased it, the person putting it in the bag dropped it in and the green tips popped off. I wanted to slap him :)
The torch is next to a pearl bubble coral
And I removed all anemones from the tank
The tips coming off isn’t too much of a problem, I’ve lost a couple tips in transit and the coral is usually fine.

The thing that jumps out most to me is your phosphate reading. What test kit are you using? 1.0-2.0 is a high phosphate reading and could be negatively affecting your torch.

I’d start by giving this torch an iodine bath, moving it away from the bubble coral, and lowering your phosphates. I usually try and keep mine between .07-.15.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tips coming off isn’t too much of a problem, I’ve lost a couple tips in transit and the coral is usually fine.

The thing that jumps out most to me is your phosphate reading. What test kit are you using? 1.0-2.0 is a high phosphate reading and could be negatively affecting your torch.

I’d start by giving this torch an iodine bath, moving it away from the bubble coral, and lowering your phosphates. I usually try and keep mine between .07-.15.
I’m using API master reef test kit. Which iodine do you use, I think I usually see ppl using Red Sea.
I’m in between on doing water changes or adding another liquid product to my tank to lower phosphates etc. ill be feeding less or more moderately so they should be dropping as the days go by.
ill go checkout a magnesium test kit as well

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using API master reef test kit. Which iodine do you use, I think I usually see ppl using Red Sea
Before doing anything with your phosphate, is it possible to either get a different brand of test kit or get it tested at your LFS? API isn’t super accurate for phosphate because if I remember correctly it can’t measure between .03-1.0.

I use Kent for iodine.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before doing anything with your phosphate, is it possible to either get a different brand of test kit or get it tested at your LFS? API isn’t super accurate for phosphate because if I remember correctly it can’t measure between .03-1.0.

I use Kent for iodine.
I can upgrade my test kit but the reading are above those numbers so it’s working for now.
id rather spend the money on iodine if needed and then magnesium supplement. I’ll drop past my LFS to have them check the two and go from there

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can upgrade my test kit but the reading are above those numbers so it’s working for now.
id rather spend the money on iodine if needed and then magnesium supplement. I’ll drop past my LFS to have them check the two and go from there
That sounds like a good idea! Iodine is always good to have on hand. In my experience, it’s a gentle dip if you follow the directions. I’ve never had any negative reactions and the corals are usually opened back up the next day.

If your phosphates come back high, it would also be good to look into getting either GFO or Phosphate-E.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned hard way , I think once they touched skeleton. It’s gone . I had a torch tentacles touched skeleton of a hammer . The hammer died within a week . When hammer tentacles extended during daytime , it can defend itself . When it closes up at night exposed skeleton Before torch goes to sleep, it becomes the problem. Now I group the torches separately away from hammers and frogspawn. Tiger still not happy with other torches . Too much science and knowledge to be learned.
I think one thing we all looked over here could be your torch is still developing, was it a recently cut frag? If so it still developing and should look better today

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked much happier and opening up more everyday
937DEA3D-E6DA-4D67-9615-D96DFCF97BE5.jpeg
Good to see, I recently seen a green torch like yours at my LFS I’m thinking about adding one to my tank. I’m looking to get the New York Knicks torch first though. It sort of look like the dragon soul but has a green inside

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think one thing we all looked over here could be your torch is still developing, was it a recently cut frag? If so it still developing and should look better today
It was huge when I got it . It started to shrink since it got touched by other torches . Todays photo is less than 50% compare with it used to be

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 45 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back