Best way to treat for cyno bacteria

reefman141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting red adage on my rock work especially on upper part of tank it has small air bubbles on the rocks is this cyno if is what's best way to treat it don't like using chemicals and what causes this nitrates at 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting red adage on my rock work especially on upper part of tank it has small air bubbles on the rocks is this cyno if is what's best way to treat it don't like using chemicals and what causes this nitrates at 0
Can you post a photo of the stuff under white lights?

There may not be a best way to treat cyanobacteria but there are many ways. For example, do nothing and maybe it just goes away.. Or you might blow it off with a jet of water from a baster or small powerhead which is also a good maintenance routine to keep rock surfaces clean. Vacuuming it off the surface might be better but tedious approach. This procedure removes much of it from the aquarium rather than spreading it around. Some aquarists like to also adjust nitrate and phosphate concentrations, light intensity, water flow and feeding in an attempt to discourage cyanobacteria growth. Eventually, it goes away, though it can in some instances, overrun the aquarium. There is no way to predict hiw much fun you are in for.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There may not be a best way to treat cyanobacteria but there are many ways. For example, do nothing and maybe it just goes away.. Or you might blow it off with a jet of water from a baster or small powerhead which is also a good maintenance routine to keep rock surfaces clean. Vacuuming it off the surface might be better but tedious approach. This procedure removes much of it from the aquarium rather than spreading it around. Some aquarists like to also adjust nitrate and phosphate concentrations, light intensity, water flow and feeding in an attempt to discourage cyanobacteria growth. Eventually, it goes away, though it can in some instances, overrun the aquarium. There is no way to predict hiw much fun you are in for.
Funny I was going to say the exact same thing but my account was hacked and this was copied from my computer

Shame lol

OP
OP
R

reefman141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240501_104201.jpg
    20240501_104201.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240501_104228.jpg
    20240501_104228.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240501_104240.jpg
    20240501_104240.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240501_104309.jpg
    20240501_104309.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240501_104145.jpg
    20240501_104145.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 12

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what is it looks like cyno or some type of adage will a additive help micro7 bacteria
Looks like cyanobacteria. Also, looks like bubble algae is growing, if you care.

I don’t know whether MB7 is a waste of money, but I have not heard that it makes things worse either. Some aquarists regard it as an anti-cyanobacteria treatment. Ditto Dr Tim’s Waste Away.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back