Follow up; second fish suddenly ill

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mimic yellow changed colors and died within 24 hours yesterday. See thread. Now, my tang pictured below is doing the same; discolored, lethargic, can’t swim. He was on the bottom but I moved him to get the photos. The yellow mimic is the fish I lost yesterday.

Other fish seem fine; no spots. Tank is 150 gal with large sump; approx 2 months old; wet rock from existing tank with no problems and some dry rock; only natural light for another month; ph 8; nitrite, ammonia and nitrates all virtually zero; temp is 78; fish seem to get along. 2 fish added a week ago along with bagged pods.

Any suggestions? If bacterial, how to treat? Thank you

IMG_0154.jpeg IMG_0153.jpeg IMG_0139.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My mimic yellow changed colors and died within 24 hours yesterday. See thread. Now, my tang pictured below is doing the same; discolored, lethargic, can’t swim. He was on the bottom but I moved him to get the photos. The yellow mimic is the fish I lost yesterday.

Other fish seem fine; no spots. Tank is 150 gal with large sump; approx 2 months old; wet rock from existing tank with no problems and some dry rock; only natural light for another month; ph 8; nitrite, ammonia and nitrates all virtually zero; temp is 78; fish seem to get along. 2 fish added a week ago along with bagged pods.

Any suggestions? If bacterial, how to treat? Thank you

IMG_0154.jpeg IMG_0153.jpeg IMG_0139.jpeg
This is a bacterial issue and what may be a vitamin deficiency and fish needs to be in sterilizer water and treated with seachem kanaplex sling with added aeration

OP
OP
Sailbd

Sailbd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll run out and get small tank, seachem kanaplex.

What, if anything, should I do about the main tank?

Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I’ll run out and get small tank, seachem kanaplex.

What, if anything, should I do about the main tank?

Thanks
You shouldn't need to do much for the main tank - unless other fish are having issues. If you didn't QT the fish - this could be part of your issue. It is somewhat odd for a bacterial disease to pop up on its own in 2 fish - I would consider watching carefully for other symptoms that suggest flukes or other illness. If, however, the fish were shipped together (like in the same bag) - they could both have the same 'infection'. Otherwise I would look for other things and monitor your other fish very closely for problems

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back