Help me to use T-slot to mount my Orphek Icons!

MK300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I plan on running mine perpendicular as well with the bars or blades in between. That photo still has only 5 lights not 6. You may just save a thousand bucks!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still trying to figure this out. I'm pretty lost. My DIY skills aren't impressive. LOL

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are mounting inside a canopy... build the T slot grid and hang it from the top with stainless steel chains, so you can raise it or lower it to the perfect height.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are mounting inside a canopy... build the T slot grid and hang it from the top with stainless steel chains, so you can raise it or lower it to the perfect height.
I was thinking I'd probably need to bolt the rails to the canopy top.

I was originally thinking I could just get 2 long pieces and mount them. Now I'm wondering if I need to actually build some sort of frame and insert it into the canopy. Then I started looking at all the possible pieces you can use and...now I'm totally unsure about what I should be doing. Haha!

This is the canopy.

1000010581.jpg

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design your fixture with this https://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/ and it will print out a BOM of everything you need. It's cheaper if you buy extrusions and cut it yourself but it only cost a little bit more to have them cut to size, drilled, tapped for you. There are places like mitsumi or 80/20 (really expensive) that can do it for you. Slide in t-nuts or spring loaded t-nuts are what you want if you don't want to just do blind joints.

I have mine with linear actuators that can lift the whole thing up an extra 8" if needed.

okmZIaC.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Design your fixture with this https://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/ and it will print out a BOM of everything you need. It's cheaper if you buy extrusions and cut it yourself but it only cost a little bit more to have them cut to size, drilled, tapped for you. There are places like mitsumi or 80/20 (really expensive) that can do it for you. Slide in t-nuts or spring loaded t-nuts are what you want if you don't want to just do blind joints.

I have mine with linear actuators that can lift the whole thing up an extra 8" if needed.

okmZIaC.jpg
That is a NICE setup!!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back