Hydros Launch

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Hydros Launch came in today....I honestly was not expecting it to be as big as it is, I don't know why my sense of scale was off with the photos of it, but it seems pretty beefy to me. A couple of things/questions as a first time Aquarium controller user:

1. Setup was a breeze, ph probe and temp probe up and running fast, moved my heater over to plug 1 and that is running great as well.
2. I also have a wave engine that came with a gyre as I need to adjust the flow in my tank, I really wish I knew it didn't come with a command bus cable in either box, hopefully my LFS has some in stock when I check later today. do I need 1 terminator or 2 since I am not using the command bus power on the launch as it has a plug built in.
3. Controller Board will show up tomorrow (really wanted to get started tho), I'll post pics once it's all set up, but anyone got a recommended screw size for these things?
4. is the salinity probe worth picking up? I use a refractometer but might want a quick check.

Thanks!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Hydros Launch came in today....I honestly was not expecting it to be as big as it is, I don't know why my sense of scale was off with the photos of it, but it seems pretty beefy to me. A couple of things/questions as a first time Aquarium controller user:

1. Setup was a breeze, ph probe and temp probe up and running fast, moved my heater over to plug 1 and that is running great as well.
2. I also have a wave engine that came with a gyre as I need to adjust the flow in my tank, I really wish I knew it didn't come with a command bus cable in either box, hopefully my LFS has some in stock when I check later today. do I need 1 terminator or 2 since I am not using the command bus power on the launch as it has a plug built in.
3. Controller Board will show up tomorrow (really wanted to get started tho), I'll post pics once it's all set up, but anyone got a recommended screw size for these things?
4. is the salinity probe worth picking up? I use a refractometer but might want a quick check.

Thanks!
With just 2 controllers only one terminator but if you are getting one you might as well get 2 since that will be all you need for 1 collective. Also the wave engine will need its power supply if you want the pumps to run. But it is ok to connect the Launch and wave engine together with the standard command bus cable. Once you connect them and make sure both are powered down. Power them back up and create a collective when you have your Launch selected. The controller you have selected when you create the collective in the app will transfer all of it's settings to the collective. Any controller you add after that will have any settings erased when it is added to the collective. You need to add the second controller by selecting devices in the left menu when you have the collective selected in the app.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just 2 controllers only one terminator but if you are getting one you might as well get 2 since that will be all you need for 1 collective.
What would be the point of getting only 1 terminator? If they aren't in a collective you don't need any, right? And if they ARE in a collective and connected with a cable then you need 2, right?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the point of getting only 1 terminator? If they aren't in a collective you don't need any, right? And if they ARE in a collective and connected with a cable then you need 2, right?
Smaller collectives can work with just one but for the price I would go ahead and get two. That way you don't have to worry about it when you start adding more controllers as your system grows.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller collectives can work with just one but for the price I would go ahead and get two. That way you don't have to worry about it when you start adding more controllers as your system grows.
Thanks, I think I missed that part in the manual first time around. That's not intuitive to me for some reason but they do clearly say both ends do not need a terminator, only one. weird.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back