Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Goals for this week:

1. Change filter floss and carbon
2. Kill the aiptasia sitting above the filter floss
3. Kill the other two aiptasia I found in the tank before the weekend
4. Kill the next 5+ aiptasia I'm going to find on Monday >:~0
5. Get shipping bags to finally work
6. Buy shipping stuff like box warmers, etc.
7. Frag, frag, frag!
8. Place Dinkins order
9. !!! Change out the tubing on the food doser !!!

Why #9? I found out that the ROE getting pumped into the tank is coming out all broken up and the fish aren't into it. In contrast, if I take the same source ROE and manually pipette it in, lots of intact ROE and the fish go nuts. Tubing must be clogged or there must be some other blockage that is chopping up the eggs as they get pushed through. Perhaps time to put in new tubing!

Your tank is POPPING my friend! Something to be proud of!

PS. I love this goals list you have. I'm going to have to create a thread about this one. :)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is POPPING my friend! Something to be proud of!

PS. I love this goals list you have. I'm going to have to create a thread about this one. :)
If I've said it before, I've said it a thousand times. Worst pitfall in reefing is "I'll get that tomorrow".

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mondays are always a bit stressful arriving at the office. Will I find a coral fell over and got nuked by a nem or another coral? Did the blenny or the yasha jump through the screen? Oh no, not one of the pinkies!

Today everything looked fine. Even the Aiptasia had a milder look about them that begged for a few more days in this glorious world, for which I obliged and decided not to boil them just yet. Instead I bought 3 berghia that will arrive on Wednesday.

Most eye catching was the trachy that I rearranged on Friday, putting it at a different angle to give it some space from the lobo and the octo. It was very happily puffed up this morning. And that makes me happy.
PXL_20240513_155219397.MP.jpg

And what is quite strange is that whilst the Aiptasia are rearing their ugly heads, the bubble algae is fading for reasons I can't explain. I'm talking about the bubble algae on the powerheads that are way away from the reach of the pitho crab. I'm feeding heavy, so I don't think there is a lack of nutrients. Who knows. I'll take it!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinkins order shipped and arriving tomorrow!
Berghia x3
Amphipods
Snacklebox (pods + phyto)

Exciting! I have informed my wife that tomorrow after the kids go to bed I will be returning to work to add the berghia and pods to the tank. If I were a painter, I would have asked her to freeze so that I could capture her face. So many emotions on one canvas! Exasperation, disgust, suppressed fury, condescension, amusement... love? Yes, love. As they say in Avenue Q, the more you love someone, the more you want to kill them.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making up some hours at the office, pretty late. Soooo, hrm, what to do, what to do?

1. Clean bucket that's been sitting in the sink for weeks (months?)--1hr bleach bath done
2. Move octo over a smidge
3. Oh right, big thing: How do you change out this mess of tubes that are siliconed through the mini fridge?
1715736030394.jpeg

1715736039356.jpeg

I'm not resiliconing tubes. I'll chop them and use these instead:
1715736071526.jpeg

Flawless plan!

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef Are you still using the NooPsyche K7 minis? If so how do you like them, compared to other brands in the same spectrum? I am starting a 4.8 Deskmate for my office, and I am curious to know your thoughts on em.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef Are you still using the NooPsyche K7 minis? If so how do you like them, compared to other brands in the same spectrum? I am starting a 4.8 Deskmate for my office, and I am curious to know your thoughts on em.
I do, and I love them. Corals love them. I like them more than the AI prime. Haven't had Ecotech lights, so can't compare with them. Haven't owned a photon, but that's not a puck light. I have a Kessil 160, but that has been used solely for adding PAR for clams--I don't think I would like Kessil as a primary light, at least not more than the Noops.

They are inexpensive enough that if they make it past their warranty, I'm generally OK with it--other expensive lights may not last longer either. And AI primes annoy me with their lenses melting. Couldn't they put a glass dome lense like the others?

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank certainly looks happy with them. For What I am wanting to do, I think they will be great. Those light have pretty darn good reviews to be a Chinese non-name brand light.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back