Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 96 36.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 72 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

Not too long ago, filter rollers seemed to be the “in” piece of equipment and some suggested that it would “revolutionize” reef keeping. While this sentiment may have been overly optimistic, there are still many brands that offer filter rollers. Some people now use them as a go-to mechanical filter for cleaning the water in their reef system, others insist that they clean too well, and still others have never seen the value in the product. What about you – have you used a filter roller? Now that some of the hype in the industry has faded, please let us know your perspective on filter rollers and feel free to share any tips or recommendations.

scottsweet_Deltec.jpeg

Photo by @scottsweet

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

thebootreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the waterbox AIO 50.3 right now with the 2.75 filter socks... i forget/get lazy and causes huge problems. but with there not really being a "name brand" roller that works with this tank , I did find a nice roller setup to fit were my socks are now on Etsy I plan to replace with in a few weeks to try!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! I'm trying to decide on which one of these to go with.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bought the klir 4 when first released but it wouldn’t fit my sump at the time

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is important. My Clarisea 5000 provides that. With socks I would get busy/lazy/forgetful/whatever, not change them for a week, then see phosphate and nitrate rising.

dowdalld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Clarisea SK5000. An impulse purchase that I didn't think I needed but now wouldn't be without. Which is the complete opposite of most of my reef related buys.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my new reef mat 500 2 days ago and I’m in love already. No more cleaning dirty socks! I only send about 80% of my drain to the roller, while the other 20% goes to my refugium and bypasses the roller into the sump. Still effectively removes a ton of debris, but gives my copepod population the fighting chance I want them to have for my mandrin (and other benefits of a healthy pod population).

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
never used a filter roller, but am hoping smarter reefs makes a nano 2-in-1 skimmer like their current auto cleaning filter roller + skimmer.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox sump which would need to be modified to accommodate a roller. That plus having my sump in a separate fish room with a utility sink and powerful spray nozzle makes it convenient to clean the socks every other day, (which is usually how long it takes for water to begin bypassing them).

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the RS 500 rollermat. I need to install it in the sump of the my RS 525XL. Unfortunately, I have to remove some glass panels which I am waiting to get the courage to do. I look very forward to no more socks! Four of them!

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the aquamax I believe and its still sitting in its box...

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300g 8ft Oceanic Display tank, 125g 6ft All-Glass custom sump. No socks, no roller mats, no sponges. No Mechanical Media filtration at all. I update regularly to my build thread and my water is always clear, very clear. I do a Coral Snow Flocculent treatment every weekend, helps balance my DKH, and it feeds my corals at the same time. My nutrient export takes place via my skimmer, and a healthy well lit refugium running a light cycle opposite my display. Short vid so you can see how clear my water is.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back