The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get others similar to the melanurus like a chrismas wrasse? Do I need to introduce all at once or can I start with these two and then get another?
Take a look at Halichoeres iridis, the radiant wrasse. And H. cosmetus or H. pallidus. Nice way to mix up some colors, and they look stunning.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get others similar to the melanurus like a chrismas wrasse? Do I need to introduce all at once or can I start with these two and then get another?
Melanurus tends to be one of the more aggressive Halichoeres. I'd add it last or at the same time as the other Halichoeres.

Look into:
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres marginatus
Halichoeres rubricephalus

Avoid:
Halichoeres bivittatus
Halichoeres chloropterus
Halichoeres cyanocephalus
Halichoeres hortulanus
Halichoeres radiatus
Halichoeres garnoti

All of these are nice and colorful, and tend to be at least a little more laid back than H. melanurus. They should do fine if added at the same time or before the melanurus.

As far as non-Halichoeres wrasses, any other sand sleepers (Macropharyngodon, Anampses, and Pseudojuloides) should be added before a melanurus.

Rock and crevice sleeping wrasses (Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops) can go in pretty much whenever, though I would still try not to add any after an adult melanurus has become well-established in a tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g tank.. Can I keep a melanurus and a Rhomboid Wrasse together? Do I need to get them as females or can I get both as males? Planning to introduce them at the same time.

Thanks!
What other fish are in the tank?

The issue with rhomboidalis is they prefer to go into a tank early on, before the hyperactive (or aggressive) fish go in.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, regal amgel, potters angel, purple tang, powdered blue tang.
PBT will probably be an issue. I suggest an acclimation box especially if you want to add any of the shyer species @Fishfreak2009 mentioned
As far as non-Halichoeres wrasses, any other sand sleepers (Macropharyngodon, Anampses, and Pseudojuloides) should be added before a melanurus.

Rock and crevice sleeping wrasses (Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops) can go in pretty much whenever, though I would still try not to add any after an adult melanurus has become well-established in a tank.
Halichoeres and larger Cirrhilabrus species will probably be best for you with your tangs

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT will probably be an issue. I suggest an acclimation box especially if you want to add any of the shyer species @Fishfreak2009 mentioned

Halichoeres and larger Cirrhilabrus species will probably be best for you with your tangs

Gotcha. So 3 of the Halichoeres in a 180 should work out?

I'm thinking Halichoeres cosmetus, Halichoeres iridis, and maybe the eiher melanurusor biocellatus (whichever is avaiable)(.

I see its easier to get them from Live Aquaria than from my lfs. LFS seems to only have the melanurus readily available.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm thinking Halichoeres cosmetus, Halichoeres iridis, and maybe the eiher melanurusor biocellatus (whichever is avaiable)(.

I see its easier to get them from Live Aquaria than from my lfs. LFS seems to only have the melanurus readily available.
I'd definitely recommend talking to your LFS and seeing if they can get them in for you instead of ordering from Liveaquaria. LA quality has really gone downhill the past few years, and any sand sleeping wrasse is more likely to have shipping issues. Most LFS are happy to special order fish for you, though they may require a deposit or payment in advance. A good LFS will reorder the fish, or give you a refund if the fish arrives sick/damaged.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about adding a pair or trio of Anampses neoguinaicus (China/Pearl Wrasse) to my tank. I've already got a trio of leopard wrasses.

Any concerns there?

Anything I need to know about anampses that's significant different than macropharyngodon in terms of what CUC they might eat?

Wrasse tax
1000008753.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about adding a pair or trio of Anampses neoguinaicus (China/Pearl Wrasse) to my tank. I've already got a trio of leopard wrasses.

Any concerns there?

Anything I need to know about anampses that's significant different than macropharyngodon in terms of what CUC they might eat?

Wrasse tax
1000008753.jpg
Should be about the same care wise, just get a bit larger. I'd watch for some aggression initially from the leopards, especially whichever fish is the dominant of the 3. Lots of feeding, and potentially using an acclimation box or dividing the tank with eggcrate for a few days goes a long way towards stopping aggression to newbies.

I personally like using the eggcrate, especially for larger fish and multiple fish additions. My 240 gallon is split currently so my sohal tang, maculosus angel, and Hardwick's wrasse can see but not destroy my clown tang and red breasted wrasse.

20240428_124848.jpg

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be about the same care wise, just get a bit larger. I'd watch for some aggression initially from the leopards, especially whichever fish is the dominant of the 3. Lots of feeding, and potentially using an acclimation box or dividing the tank with eggcrate for a few days goes a long way towards stopping aggression to newbies.

I personally like using the eggcrate, especially for larger fish and multiple fish additions. My 240 gallon is split currently so my sohal tang, maculosus angel, and Hardwick's wrasse can see but not destroy my clown tang and red breasted wrasse.

20240428_124848.jpg

Good idea with the egg crate. I'm always hesitant to keep either of these types of wrasses in an acclimation box or QT tank long due to how much of their initial diet is pods and other stuff in your tank. Getting them grazing on pods as soon as possible has been my secret to acclimation success. That would let that happen while avoiding aggression. I also tend to add a few pod seeded rocks to my observation/QT tank for the initial inspection and observation period.

Luckily all 3 leopards eventually figured out pellets are food and are as big a pig as any other fish in my tank now.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that would work just fine! Though I agree with @Fishfreak2009 about LA

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, regal amgel, potters angel, purple tang, powdered blue tang.
I wouldn’t do the Rhomboid, unfortunately I think the tangs would be too much for one of them.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The wrasse tank in all its glory.
IMG_0263.jpeg

What wrasse do you think I’ll be hunting next - Obviously I’m hunting down a Choat’s for my nano still and a Kaleidos Pencil for this tank, but I’ve also put another wrasse on the list for this tank.
Tank is looking good.
I do want to ask, however, why you need to hunt down anything new right now?
I hope you don't take this wrong way, but shouldn't you maybe just let the fish be and see how they do in the new tank? Between the move, losing some fish just before the move, and the recent additions, that sounds like a lot of stress on the fish. I know I'm newer to wrasse, but I feel like you've replaced a lot of fish recently.
Again, please don't take offense, I'm just thinking about the fish.

Do you plan on keeping the choats in the nano?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good.
I do want to ask, however, why you need to hunt down anything new right now?
I hope you don't take this wrong way, but shouldn't you maybe just let the fish be and see how they do in the new tank? Between the move, losing some fish just before the move, and the recent additions, that sounds like a lot of stress on the fish. I know I'm newer to wrasse, but I feel like you've replaced a lot of fish recently.
Again, please don't take offense, I'm just thinking about the fish.

Do you plan on keeping the choats in the nano?
The Choat’s I don’t plan to keep in the nano long term, simply just as a grow out - if it arrives quite large already I’ll probably place it into this tank but I’d rather acclimate it in my nano with the much more peaceful species.

As for trying to find wrasses, if I’m honest I rarely actually find these fish within a few weeks (I’m unfortunate in the sense that I only have the one shop which actually has nice wrasses in readily at the moment) and it can often take a few months before one appears so if I see them I do generally take them.
Since the move it’s been around a month now - many of the older fish are nice and established, overall nobody seems too scared. Even the newer fish added have been for some reason really comfortable - whether that’s because of the rock structure with all the caves or just power feeding everyone I’m unsure. I’ve only had 1 small dispute so far but was expected - the Carpenter’s and Rubricaudalis. Although even that has settled down.

In terms of what I hunt down as well, I’ve been hunting 2 for a few months now - the Choat’s was even before this upgrade was planned. I’m also not too worried about bioload as the only thing new for this tank was the sand, everything else I put in was from the 4’ tank.

No worries! It didn’t come off as rude or anything :)

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back