OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is awesome sir, I like your design much better with toggle switch to change the modes, do you have the list of the parts and diagram for connections so I can replicate the build,

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, I will try to post a list shortly. Pretty much everything off of amazon.

So far my most common error is roasting potentiometers by swapping hot and ground :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Ravi for you, the box will need two more holes. one more for the second "mode" switch, and one more for the second thruster output cable. Pretty easy to execute though. If things do get warm, some vent holes would be easy to drill in the enclosure.

oh, also @sawdonkey I modded the thruster housing model so I think it should work for you. but you need to buy magnets to be able to JB weld them in place. Also, attaching the magnets is tough. they jump and attach to each other and I got JB weld all over me.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, I will try to post a list shortly. Pretty much everything off of amazon.

So far my most common error is roasting potentiometers by swapping hot and ground :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Ravi for you, the box will need two more holes. one more for the second "mode" switch, and one more for the second thruster output cable. Pretty easy to execute though. If things do get warm, some vent holes would be easy to drill in the enclosure.

oh, also @sawdonkey I modded the thruster housing model so I think it should work for you. but you need to buy magnets to be able to JB weld them in place. Also, attaching the magnets is tough. they jump and attach to each other and I got JB weld all over me.
thank you so much, please if you can give little info or pictures on connections as well and are you using Wi-Fi Arduino?

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet, I'll try to make a how-to.

I am using an Arduino Uno R4 Wifi, but honestly, it has a library problem with PWM outputs to drive electric motors that both me and sawdonkey had to work through, so I would use an R3 if I was starting over (or you just need to upload a new servo library to the R4). wifi is not essential since I am not yet using that function.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am using an Arduino Uno R4 Wifi, but honestly, it has a library problem with PWM outputs to drive electric motors that both me and sawdonkey had to work through, so I would use an R3 if I was starting over (or you just need to upload a new servo library to the R4). wifi is not essential since I am not yet using that function.
Thank you sir, I will keep my arduino, looking forward to see your how-to,

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am using an Arduino Uno R4 Wifi, but honestly, it has a library problem with PWM outputs to drive electric motors that both me and sawdonkey had to work through, so I would use an R3 if I was starting over (or you just need to upload a new servo library to the R4). wifi is not essential since I am not yet using that function.H
Hello sir, how is it going with your thrusters, did you add those in your tank yet?

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry been slammed with life and some family health issues.

I have powerhead running in my rock tub, electronics cool to touch, no signs of issue with thruster, but it is loud. Like vortechs were before quiet drive. I want to figure out what “quiet drive” is so i can try to apply it. It worked on same old vortech hardware was just a driver update, so is maybe a different drive signal, dunno.

It is strong, but im not sure i can deal with the sound. Ill keep folks briefed on my efforts to quiet it. It might also not be so bad in a running tank with higher ambient sound level

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a CPAP tube with a WS7040 blower. I think this would be much safer and is already pretty cheap.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been up and running for over a month. This thing moves major water. I’m still using my makeshift shroud, but it works fine. Yes, it’s a bit noisy, but my tank is in my basement in a dedicated room where I’m typically playing music if I’m in there for any amount of time (as can be heard in this video).

Last night as I did a water change, my return pump was sucking air so I thought it would be a good opportunity to show the power of this pump. Sorry for the terrible video quality.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sawdonkey if you want to make the real shroud im sure someone on here or in my reef club would pribt a set for you, then you just need the bolts and magnets.

Its a bummer about the sound level, im not sure how to combat that. Like i dont know what part of the system is generating the sound. It must be do-able since the pricey thrusters arent this loud.

Thats a great vid! Nice tank

@ravi197699 i am working on the parts list and how to this week. Got a little time after some rough family stuff.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sawdonkey if you want to make the real shroud im sure someone on here or in my reef club would pribt a set for you, then you just need the bolts and magnets.

Its a bummer about the sound level, im not sure how to combat that. Like i dont know what part of the system is generating the sound. It must be do-able since the pricey thrusters arent this loud.

Thats a great vid! Nice tank

@ravi197699 i am working on the parts list and how to this week. Got a little time after some rough family stuff
Thank you sir, in regards to noise you are combating with thrusters , noise is coming from the motor part, I was dealing with same when I started using the thrusters, but I got over the sound against the performance, my thrusters turn off at night and no one is home during day, but if you find the solution that can make them quiet then it will be great,

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been up and running for over a month. This thing moves major water. I’m still using my makeshift shroud, but it works fine. Yes, it’s a bit noisy, but my tank is in my basement in a dedicated room where I’m typically playing music if I’m in there for any amount of time (as can be heard in this video).

Last night as I did a water change, my return pump was sucking air so I thought it would be a good opportunity to show the power of this pump. Sorry for the terrible video quality.

thank you for sharing the video, you have t200 and you are happy, I have 2 t500 in my 750 gallon tank and I drive them at 7 volts anything higher will rip the flesh off corals lol.

solly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a t200 and a 3D printer. Are you willing to share the .stil file for these parts so I can get mine up and running, please?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back