“FROZEN FOOD” to rinse or not ?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do. In fact I prefer the smaller particulates enter the tank as they're more likely (theoretically) to be digested by my SPS and gorgonians.

If the argument is that the juice is harmful, I hardly think the actual frozen shrimp etc. that are sitting in it would be much safer, and that's obviously not true.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break off a frozen piece. Drop it in the tank. Whatever the inhabitants don’t or can’t eat gets picked up by my filtration system and protein skimmer. Rinsing is for the birds!
Thawing is for the birds! My CBB loves picking at the 2x2 piece of Rods food while it is frozen until it gets sucked into a powerhead and chummed all over.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself, don’t rinse. I have always felt like the frozen food gravy would find its way to all of my corals. I can definitely rationalize an opposite view but I like to feed my whole tank.
“Frozen food gravy”. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1. Do you rinse your frozen feasts or not, and why?
4CBE0BB2-13EE-4C18-9631-087EB56F03F0.gif
I have a small container that I mix up LRS frozen and Formula 1 Frozen with a shot of Zooplankton....let it all dissolve and refrigerate...then add a small amount directly to tank, along with Hikari Carnivore Pellets, and TDO Chroma Boost...works great!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I myself, don’t rinse. I have always felt like the frozen food gravy would find its way to all of my corals. I can definitely rationalize an opposite view but I like to feed my whole tank.

I'm not sure what I really called it before now, but I will be calling it frozen food gravy from here on out haha

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we should be feeding every day. But only test our levels weekly or monthly. Testing each day to determine our levels so that we can also determine whether to rinse food or not, I don’t think is going to happen.

Change seldom happens overnight. The thought process is if your levels are rising test over test, try implementing rinsing food to see if it reduces N/P for the next test. The likely outcome, is no noticeable change between rinsing and not.

If a tank is struggling with N/P but only testing monthly, then they likely have more issues than rinsing food lets be honest.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw my frozen cubes in a little cup. when the cubes are thawed, I dump the thaw juice into my DT which always has low nutrients. I then mix in a little RODI into the cup, swirl it around a little and then dump a little of the slurry into each of my tanks at feed time.

I don't rinse, but I do dump the thaw juice into only (1) of my tanks.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm in the "no rinse" camp as well. Slurry = coral food. :cool:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back