“FROZEN FOOD” to rinse or not ?

Remy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends on what my nutrients in the tank look like. Usually I don’t rinse, just thaw with tank water and add back in. If I find my nutrients creeping, rinsing the food is an easy way to curve that trend

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big no for me. SPS tank that absorbs nutrients big time. In fact, I tested straining and got cyno doing so.
Agreed! Ideally, our tanks should filter water like the ocean. Our tanks should expect a 10 ton dead whale deteriorating for days feeding the nearby the reef. My continued goal for filtration.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We cant control the water in which they are frozen. So wheter it’s “good” or “bad” doesn’t really matter. The problem is consistency.
I would not mind trowing it in without rinsing if I could get some guarantees on the frozen water and whats in it.
Rhe amount of nutrients could vary wildley from block to block let alone al kinds off contaminations or trace ellements which are going to build up.

Just be carefull and rinsing is better. You are better of feeding your corals with a know food instead of hoping the Gravy/juice is problem free.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if your tank is so hungry that it needs phosphate and nitrate dosed, and already has it’s skimmer routinely turned off to keep nutrients elevated?

One of the problems people run into in this hobby is blindly following advice without really applying it to their tanks characteristics.

I might strain and rinse for one tank and do the opposite on another…

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We cant control the water in which they are frozen. So wheter it’s “good” or “bad” doesn’t really matter. The problem is consistency.
I would not mind trowing it in without rinsing if I could get some guarantees on the frozen water and whats in it.
Rhe amount of nutrients could vary wildley from block to block let alone al kinds off contaminations or trace ellements which are going to build up.

Just be carefull and rinsing is better. You are better of feeding your corals with a know food instead of hoping the Gravy/juice is problem free.
If you are worried about contaminants in the the water it’s frozen with, you shouldn’t be feeding with it.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually toss about a dozen cubes in a condiment "ketchup" bottle, add some selcon and shake it up with RODI. Ill refrigerate that for 3-4 days and I just squirt food into the tank every day. No rinsing. But I also use 51" of reefmat a day so my fishies are happy

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually toss about a dozen cubes in a condiment "ketchup" bottle, add some selcon and shake it up with RODI. Ill refrigerate that for 3-4 days and I just squirt food into the tank every day. No rinsing. But I also use 51" of reefmat a day so my fishies are happy
Sounds like a winning system. I like the ketchup bottle idea. Lol

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be confident that whether our frozen foods are taken directly out of the ocean, aqua/maricultured or from a land-locked source, the idea of contaminates in the water would be a key concern of these producers. A bad batch could destroy them.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tank, my reef tank I don’t rinse as the corals can take up the liquid from frozen. But for my seahorse tanks it always thawed and rinsed to remove excess nutrients.
That’s smart, the Seahorses don’t need the extra nutrients. My main thought is for filter feeders, corals etc.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about contaminants in the the water it’s frozen with, you shouldn’t be feeding with it.
I am not really worried about contamination as the main problem. I ment to say you don’t have a grip on how much contamination you add to your tank in total.
I agree that whatever is in the water also is in the food, but if there is something bad in it I would rather only add it to the tank in the food and not in the water it came in.
The little bit that is in the food will not impact that much. The bit in the water is far more.
I am not happy about the contaminations in the food but I am also not worried about it. The food is soooo small it probably wont have a big impact and wont build up verry much in years.
But I wouldn’t add the water because it adds even more of the possible contaminations.
Adding the water wil only add possible contamination’s faster.

other question: do you think the water from frozen food is beneficial? Would you add it and advise to add it?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to rinse changed my mind because of this thread also like the ketchup bottle thanks everyone
Welcome to the other side TB!!! Now if you’re like me, you can focus more on effectively filtering your tank. Always a bright side! Lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back