OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never do. In fact I prefer the smaller particulates enter the tank as they're more likely (theoretically) to be digested by my SPS and gorgonians.

If the argument is that the juice is harmful, I hardly think the actual frozen shrimp etc. that are sitting in it would be much safer, and that's obviously not true.
Great logic!!!

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself, don’t rinse. I have always felt like the frozen food gravy would find its way to all of my corals. I can definitely rationalize an opposite view but I like to feed my whole tank.
“Frozen food gravy”. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1. Do you rinse your frozen feasts or not, and why?
4CBE0BB2-13EE-4C18-9631-087EB56F03F0.gif
Nah, throw the chunk in there and let them fight it out

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think “as reefers” one of our goals should be to have filtration that will create a pristine environment for our livestock especially with the benefits of heavy feeding.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would rinse but I have some, probably irrational, fear of my tap water some how getting into the tank on the food and KILLING EVERYTHING!!! Would rinse in RO if I made RO more often. . . and had a strainer. . .

Right now I just defrost food for the week and feed with tweezers as to get mostly food and not a lot of juices.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I would rinse but I have some, probably irrational, fear of my tap water some how getting into the tank on the food and KILLING EVERYTHING!!! Would rinse in RO if I made RO more often. . . and had a strainer. . .

Right now I just defrost food for the week and feed with tweezers as to get mostly food and not a lot of juices.
Tweezers? Dude get a strainer if your going this route… it will honestly help you out.

I strain 6 cubes a day for 15 fish.

I may try throwing in raw one of these days but I have red algae when nutrients get high

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tweezers? Dude get a strainer if your going this route… it will honestly help you out.

I may try throwing in raw one of these days but I have red algae when nutrients get high
Not like tiny tweezers haha, aqua scaping tweezers, only takes 3 pinches to feed the 4 fish I have. . . but no it is not the quickest or most elegant system.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use some tank water every time to thaw out your cubes. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never rinsed. The small particulate is coral food, and CUC food.

Break off a chunk of LRS or PE mysis, rub between my fingers in the tank. I can actually hand feed most of my fish this way. They are just used to me now.

If you have NO3 or PO4 issues, up your filtration game, don't starve your inhabitants.

100% a firm believer in heavy in, heavy out is the best way to run a reef tank.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never rinsed. The small particulate is coral food, and CUC food.

Break off a chunk of LRS or PE mysis, rub between my fingers in the tank. I can actually hand feed most of my fish this way. They are just used to me now.

If you have NO3 or PO4 issues, up your filtration game, don't starve your inhabitants.

100% a firm believer in heavy in, heavy out is the best way to run a reef tank.
Can’t disagree!!! :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back