0ppm nitrates. Thanks to algae scrubbers

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me about 8 years but finally installed an algae scrubber for $30 and got my nitrates to 0. Like jeez that's insane I think. We spend all of our efforts to bring it down under 5ppm well let me guide you towards algae scrubbers. The uprising of them. They will really help. Especially for people who have sps like me.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to post pics of your tank and success. I love seeing progression pics of sps frags grown into colonies.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed I have best colors when my nitrates are around 5. I'm at 0 right now and I'm adding nitrates because it's too low. LOL
Yeah I was reading your post man. I'm just surprised on why too low of nitrates would affect sps like why would they need nitrates if they are the main key to lower them in order to have success in keeping a sps dominant tank. Like alk affects sps big time but wouldn't you think nitrates need to be as low as possible.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was reading your post man. I'm just surprised on why too low of nitrates would affect sps like why would they need nitrates if they are the main key to lower them in order to have success in keeping a sps dominant tank. Like alk affects sps big time but wouldn't you think nitrates need to be as low as possible.

I know what you mean. Before I always tried to keep them as low as possible and that worked. For some reason on this system now, it's naturally low and I have a ton of fish. Since dosing nitrates my colors are getting better. Also started dosing aminos too. Which add nitrates but not phosphates (so they say). With that combo I'm seeing some positive results. Hopefully in a few more months the changes will be significant.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back