1 Polyp Hope

apicturepaints

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering how people feel about purchasing 1 polyp of a zoa/paly? I personally try not get anything smaller than three, but I see single polyps sold on here pretty often. Also (not to bash anyone) but I've read an opinion or two that people feel this is a scam because it is unlikely the zoa will make it and will inevitably melt making the purchaser buy another one.

What are people's experiences with buying and growing out single polyps? I haven't done a single before, but some zoas I can't get any larger than a single.

OP
OP
A

apicturepaints

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't mind single-polyps, but avoid them because of the potential health/hardiness scale. I really enjoy watching zoa frags grow out. I had 2 clementines that were seriously microscopic, but watching them grow has been fun. :)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought single polyps several times and had them grow into large colonies. IME, the downfall of single polyps is when they are freshly cut, they can easily break off of the frag plug and get lost in the tank with little chance of recovering them due to their size.

zero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...single polyp is fine as long as they are healed and attached to the plug it shouldn't be an issue. I have bought many single polyp and they all are doing good.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sold single polyps and bought single polyps. I can only speak for myself, but I would never sell something I thought might not make it. That's just messed up. In all honesty I've never lost a single polyp frag either. I've lost a few 2, 3, and 4 polyp frags though. It just happens with zoa's. Especially the high dollar morphs. I agree though the frags have a much better chance if they are given plenty of time to heal.

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single polyps are fine, I built most of my collection from single polyp frags. Just need to make sure they are well healed.

saltyandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy single polyps. Most of them end up being better than my multiple polyps. Matter of fact I bought a bunch of singles from Tenor a little bit ago and the are already producing babies!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't sell or trade anything unless I'm confident it's healed. I use superglue as judgement. If it has grown over the superglue I'm confident in passing it on to someone else.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single polyps are fine, I built most of my collection from single polyp frags. Just need to make sure they are well healed.

Ditto. I do like to get groups of 3-4 polyps when I can, regardless of cost, but in some/many cases it's just not possible and you take what you can get!

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy single polyps. Most of them end up being better than my multiple polyps. Matter of fact I bought a bunch of singles from Tenor a little bit ago and the are already producing babies!

Hey, you found me on here...

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not mind to buy or trade single polyp with local reefer as long as it is totally healed. I would avoid doing it if it invoiced shipping.

63vette427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to how healthy and healed the polyp is. A freshly cut polyp will not do well if shipped or even sold locally. It's far too much stress on the polyp. When i frag a single polyp, i make sure it has shown some growth and has a nice sold base to grow from..

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that most larger polyps have a high survival rate when fragged as single polyps. I've had mixed results with smaller polyps. This is leaving them in my system for months after cutting. It is often the case that any polyp fragged to 1-2 polyps will make new baby polyps fairly quickly if provided good conditions, and this is often an upside of selling small frags after they have healed.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back