10g zoa dominated tank

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Im continuing this thread from the Orbit lighting thread that i started. As some of you know im starting a zoa dominated tank. This is basically an update. Yesterday i went to my lfs and got some zoa's. They are still very small some just a cm wide and some even smaller. I counted how many and there is 12 polyps in all. They were all on one rock but the rock was like a ball and polyps were everywhere. Some werent going to get light wherever i placed them. So i fragged each one onto one of my bigger rocks. They are firs and ice frags if im not mistaking. I will post pics later tonight. And it all depends cuz they havent opened yet.
thanks for reading......

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn....
The lights just went out on my tank. I was going to get some new pics of the zoas i got but now i cant. I had a long day at work (lfs) so at the end of the day i picked up a yellow watchman goby. I took him home acclimated him for an hour then put him in. he was a bit sluggish because of none of the lights were on, therefore he went to sleep. An hour layer and i cant find him. Hes in the back of the rock somewhere. I also noticed when i got home that some of the fir and ice arent all fire and ice. Some of them are green in the middle instead of blue. But not all are open yet. But all is well. I have to go to the fish farm with my boss on monday. Its in tampa so i will be picking up some zoa's half the price. i will update tommorrow after work.

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea with all the discounts i get at the lfs i could upgrade but im not going to. I will definitly post picks tommorrow but it will be around 6 o'clock. I have to get up at 7 tommorrow and go pick up a 90g tank that a guy is selling to my boss. LR, Stand, corals, fish .....everything. And then work at the store from 10 to 5. Its been really busy......im pooped :sleepy1: . but hey i think i might get more coral tommorrow anyways...hehe

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh well it seems my camera doesnt want to take good pics. Therefore tommorrow my buddy will be stopping over with his camerabright and early. oh yes and update....i bought a yellow watchman goby yesterday. Cool fish! he hides most of the time but he will eventually get used to the tank and come out than just for feedings. :) again i will definitly post pics tommorrow......

steve

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these watchman gobies move around a lot or do they mainly stick to their hole area?

Cmon fishes, let's see some pics!

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the pics........
the watchman goby...........
steve.jpg

here's a bad pic of the new zoa's, and a discription......
stev2.jpg

heres a better pic w/flash of the zoa's.........

P1010003.jpg

The watchman goby is eating and doing well. He found a cave up on the first pic. Its about 5 inches wide so hes got a pretty safe area. He pops out every now and then and perches on the rock, but when i get any closer he goes right back in the cave. He always has a big 'frown' on his face. hehe.
Sorry about the bad pics........i cant spend 600$$ on atop of the line camera but hopefully one day i can get a good one....

:)Enjoy
Steve

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ok Steve we all have to make do with what we got. The last pics were ok good luck with the tank seems to be taking shape......

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i actually feel ashamed of even posting the pics because they were so bad....... :sad11: :sad5:
But hey, tonight at about 2 oclock in the mornign im going to the tampa fish farm with my boss to get livestock for the store...corals, fish, inverts etc...... so i will be picking up alot of zoa's for half price and lower!!!!!!!YYYYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!! \:D/

Steve

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well have fun and pick out some great stuff, it's not everyday that most people get that chance.

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its so cool!! but im goign to lose hpurs of sleep for this. Im so addictted. It like coralnutz said in one forum.....where going to need a 12 step program for coral addicts. :laughing5:

I will showpics tommorrow nght even though they will be horrible....

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some zoa's yesterday!! They are on tonga branches.....3 different polyps on each of the branches. the colors vary from blue to green, and to red. some have green centers with blue splattered then a dark green skirt. some are all green too. There are about 4 or 5 morphs on this each colony.note that both are from the same colony.......(i splitted them apart.....
heres the pics......
Left side
DSCF0255.jpg

right side
DSCF0256.jpg

new zoa colony
DSCF0257.jpg

#2 zoa colony
DSCF0259.jpg

FTS
DSCF0261.jpg

Again they are not the best pics or zoa's in the world but i still love having them.

Steve

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve - Don't be ashamed of your pictures, you do what you can do, ya know? We can see how your tank is shaping up and thats good. Your tank looks like mine when I first started, and now my nano is brimming over with zoas.

nice find!

Kam

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not all the polyps are open to their full potential yet , so i think it will look a whole lot better when they do. Thanks for the kind words kammy. :)

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a rough copy of the plans for the canopy/lighting. Comments and concerns are needed.....=)

canopy244-1.jpg

Sorry you cant see the words on the pic. It says that there are 2/20watt and 2/10watt PC 50/50 screw in bulbs. The hood is slighty larger than the footprints of a 10g tank being that the canopy needs to rest on it just right. There will be one fan and another hole on the other side covered slightly with mesh. The canopy will either be 6 or 8in tall im thinking though. And plus i have no idea about a reflector.......
enjoy but please ....criticize....... :lol:

Steve

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back