150 tank stocking ideas

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep on going through various revisions for the next tank I want to build. The last version was a 300 gallon with 6 anthias and 5 chromis. I scrapped that idea and decided to go for a 150. I have a list but I still feel like I am missing something. I plan for the tank to mixed reef mostly corals that move and less sps. I've included a picture with fish taken from live aquaria as the basis.
193936080.jpg

As you can see it relies heavily around wrasses.

The list is: 2x occi clowns
royal gramma
midas blenny
one spot foxface
Capenters flasher wrasse
Solon wrasse pair
Christmas wrasse
Radiant wrasse
Malenurus Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse

Not the order I'm going to add them probably but you get the idea. I feel like the list is missing something... I'm not a huge fan of tangs. The tank will without a doubt be covered. Any compatibility issues that any of you can see?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to move this to the fish discussion forum. I think some of the wrasse addicts will chime in then. :)

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would nix the H. melanurus, as they can get mean as they mature. The other three Halichoeres are fine. Also, only one C. solorensis. More than likely a pair will turn into two males, which may or may not work.

As far as what you are missing, you could definitely add some additional Fairy or Flasher Wrasses. And then maybe a Tang. I am partial to the brustletooth Tangs, though you have other options. Finally, depending on corals, a Dwarf Angel may be nice too.

I have a pretty similar list as you in my 125, except I have 11 Wrasses, and soon to be 12 :)

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would nix the H. melanurus, as they can get mean as they mature. The other three Halichoeres are fine. Also, only one C. solorensis. More than likely a pair will turn into two males, which may or may not work.

As far as what you are missing, you could definitely add some additional Fairy or Flasher Wrasses. And then maybe a Tang. I am partial to the brustletooth Tangs, though you have other options. Finally, depending on corals, a Dwarf Angel may be nice too.

I have a pretty similar list as you in my 125, except I have 11 Wrasses, and soon to be 12 :)

I had a melanurus that was about 5 inches when I got it and had it for a year and besides killing a cleaner shrimp I never saw any other aggression. I know it all depends on the individual. I have to add it as its my favorite fish. I plan to add all 4 hals at the same time.

I'm curious about the solors though how could a female turn male if there is a male present? I plan on getting a larger male and the smallest female I can get so it hasn't had the chance to start changing to male yet.

I have thought about adding one more wrasse specifically the Pseudojuloides severnsi. I also thought about adding a potters and or flame angel.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but on second though the christmas look a lot like the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]melanurus so I could probably switch that one out for something else. [/FONT]

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a melanurus that was about 5 inches when I got it and had it for a year and besides killing a cleaner shrimp I never saw any other aggression. I know it all depends on the individual. I have to add it as its my favorite fish. I plan to add all 4 hals at the same time.

I'm curious about the solors though how could a female turn male if there is a male present? I plan on getting a larger male and the smallest female I can get so it hasn't had the chance to start changing to male yet.

I have thought about adding one more wrasse specifically the Pseudojuloides severnsi. I also thought about adding a potters and or flame angel.

It definitely depends on the individual with H. melanurus. With your mix of other Wrasses, I don't think I would chance it. I have one myself, but the only other Wrasse in the tank with it is a Possum Wrasse. I would not dare add it to my 125 with my group of other Wrasses.

Regarding the C. solorensis turning male, this happens all of the time actually. Wrasses don't pair up like Clowns. In order for a female to stay male, the male needs to basically give it full attention. When you have a group of Wrasses, often times the male is too busy interacting with the others to "keep" the female as a female. Your best bet at keeping a pair would be if they were the only two Wrasses in the tank, which is still not a guarantee. The other thing to consider is most female C. solorensis are mislabled. They are usually a male or transitioning member of the C. cyanopleura complex. So either way I feel it best to just get a male from a different species.

but on second though the christmas look a lot like the melanurus so I could probably switch that one out for something else.

I would stick with the H. claudia personally.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they fair with the male solor? If it is a male cyanopluera? Another one I quite like is the Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they fair with the male solor? If it is a male cyanopluera? Another one I quite like is the Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
Probably not well! C. solorensis can be pretty aggressive in general with other Fairy Wrasses. Another reason why I wouldn't want two...

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is it just that species that is intolerant or the entire genus?

That species in particular. There are a few that are known to be more aggressive in the genus than others, namely C. scottorum, C. filamentosus, C. pylie, C. condei, C. adornatus, C. naokoae, C. roseafascia, & C. rubrisquamis, off the top of my head. Most others coexist with other Fairy and/or Wrasses no problem. I myself have the following in my 125:

C. bathyphilus
C. earlie
C. cf lanceolatus
C. jordani
C. laboutei
C. lubbocki

P. attenuatus
P. bellae
P. angulatus x P. carpenteri

All coexist with barely any squabbles at all (usually just the C. laboutei and C. bathyphilus will take turns chasing each other once a month). Use an acclimation box whenever adding any new Wrasses.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That species in particular. There are a few that are known to be more aggressive in the genus than others, namely C. scottorum, C. filamentosus, C. pylie, C. condei, C. adornatus, C. naokoae, C. roseafascia, & C. rubrisquamis, off the top of my head. Most others coexist with other Fairy and/or Wrasses no problem. I myself have the following in my 125:

C. bathyphilus
C. earlie
C. cf lanceolatus
C. jordani
C. laboutei
C. lubbocki

P. attenuatus
P. bellae
P. angulatus x P. carpenteri

All coexist with barely any squabbles at all (usually just the C. laboutei and C. bathyphilus will take turns chasing each other once a month). Use an acclimation box whenever adding any new Wrasses.

Ok with that in mind I think I shall drop the solor completely. I preferred the female anyway. I only wanted the male to keep "her" from becoming a male. I'll probably substitute a Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis and one other for those. Are the fish in your tank wrasse only?

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok with that in mind I think I shall drop the solor completely. I preferred the female anyway. I only wanted the male to keep "her" from becoming a male. I'll probably substitute a Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis and one other for those. Are the fish in your tank wrasse only?

Good choice IMO :) And no, I also have a Magnificent Foxface, Powder Brown Tang, Kole Tang, Flame Angel, & Midas Blenny. Along with two Leopard Wrasses (M. bipartitus & M. choati) and an H. iridis.

I'm really digging the C. lubbocki, C. cf lanceolatus and the P.bellae.

C. lubbocki - Very underrated Wrasse! Inexpensive, very peaceful, and not hard to find. Would be a great choice.
C. cf lanceolatus - Very hard to find. Only rarely become available, and usually come with a hefty price tag. A very peaceful and beautiful Wrasse.
P. bellae - Again, another that rarely becomes available, and again comes with a hefty price tag (usually $600 for a male). But again a beautiful and peaceful Wrasse.

Plenty of other options out there as well that are readily available and won't cost an arm or leg :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not well! C. solorensis can be pretty aggressive in general with other Fairy Wrasses. Another reason why I wouldn't want two...

I personally have not found this to be the case. I keep C. solorensis in most of he tanks I take care of and find it to be quite tolerant of other fairy and flasher wrasses. In fact, the fish often sold as a female solorensis, C. cf. cyanopleura, is actually a little more assertive, but not enough to stop me from keeping it with other wrasses.

That species in particular. There are a few that are known to be more aggressive in the genus than others, namely C. scottorum, C. filamentosus, C. pylie, C. condei, C. adornatus, C. naokoae, C. roseafascia, & C. rubrisquamis, off the top of my head. Most others coexist with other Fairy and/or Wrasses no problem....

A few others to add to that list are C. rubriventralis, kwazulu fairy, and Cirrhilabrus sp. 3.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you would chime in at some point :) I have never kept a C. solorensis, so just going off what I have heard. Good to know though.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is evolved here? He was the resident wrasse guy at every other forum I used to go to.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he is still active on this forum. He monitors the two Wrasses threads that are stickied.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he is still active on this forum. He monitors the two Wrasses threads that are stickied.

I just saw your tank video and I think my tank stocking will be fairly similar to yours. I'm just not going to be spending hundreds of dollars on fairy wrasse because they aren't my favorites. The flame angel is a fish I've always wanted. I'm not so sure if I should get it or a potters which is one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen. I highly doubt I can have both. Then there are the leopard wrasse..... This is why I'm taking stocking into consideration before I even start planning anything else.

Last edited:
Back