OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11, 4 fry remaining. I started tdo on day three, introduced brine shrimp day 8, cut off rotifers day 10. Now day 11 the fry get the zoomies when tdo is added.

The start of this clutch was going great until Day 3 and 5 I had major die off those days. My previous best was 1 fry at Day 10. Adding another air stone was a big improvement.

Next hatch I'm going to change my front viewing panel to something a little more less see through, currently it's just a black cloth that I rigged into a curtain. I have black sheets of acrylic that will block 100% of the light and I'll still be able to lift it to peek inside.

possibly move the fry tank to a less traffic area the living room isnt the best place.

tl717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11, 4 fry remaining. I started tdo on day three, introduced brine shrimp day 8, cut off rotifers day 10. Now day 11 the fry get the zoomies when tdo is added.

The start of this clutch was going great until Day 3 and 5 I had major die off those days. My previous best was 1 fry at Day 10. Adding another air stone was a big improvement.

Next hatch I'm going to change my front viewing panel to something a little more less see through, currently it's just a black cloth that I rigged into a curtain. I have black sheets of acrylic that will block 100% of the light and I'll still be able to lift it to peek inside.

possibly move the fry tank to a less traffic area the living room isnt the best place.
When you say the fry get the zoomies when you add tdo.. do you mean eating it up? or throwing a temper tantrum? I have my first hatch going, on its 1 week birthday! 7dph I'm keeping the fry tank in a blacked out room with a single light source. It seems to help with them chasing the light in the corners they freak out if the light isn't at a perfect angle to avoid reflections.. and they hate when the water clears up. light glares make them go dumb

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the fry get the zoomies when you add tdo.. do you mean eating it up? or throwing a temper tantrum? I have my first hatch going, on its 1 week birthday! 7dph I'm keeping the fry tank in a blacked out room with a single light source. It seems to help with them chasing the light in the corners they freak out if the light isn't at a perfect angle to avoid reflections.. and they hate when the water clears up. light glares make them go dumb
They are eating.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I made it to 3 days of keeping frie alive.
Day three is the starvation day. They have enough nutrients from the yolk to not need food for 24 hours. No food in 48 hours they starve to death.

I have this same problem, I belive its caused by shock the first 24 hours. I'm moving my fry tank to a spare bedroom we don't use to keep it away from noise and movement.

I'm on day 13 with 4 still alive. I want my next hatch to be 100+ on day 13.

tl717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try the siphon method for catching the fry on hatchnight. A little less trauma than the

Day three is the starvation day. They have enough nutrients from the yolk to not need food for 24 hours. No food in 48 hours they starve to death.

I have this same problem, I belive its caused by shock the first 24 hours. I'm moving my fry tank to a spare bedroom we don't use to keep it away from noise and movement.

I'm on day 13 with 4 still alive. I want my next hatch to be 100+ on day 13.
I just figured out lighting.. no lights in the room on, just one bright led flashlight lol.. crazy feeding response, I just watched them all get fatter

Attachments

• 20230825_191940.jpg
    20230825_191940.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230825_193246.mp4
    17.8 MB

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joyce Wilkerson's book is invaluable. If you don't have it, I suggest you get it. If the fry are on the bottom, the light intensity is too great (p. 186). If they are on the sides, they may be moving to either stray light or trying to get away from light. I taped black construction paper to my rearing tanks. If they are running away from light, they are not eating and, as mentioned, starving at Day 3 or so. I followed the feeding schedule on p. 192 - rotifers through Day 7, BBS start depends on species (Days 5-8), TDO after Day 5. Of course, there is overlap for different growth rates. Trial and error is a big part of this journey. Try different things but there is a lot of research out there that can save you time. Keep track of what you try so you don't end up repeating your experiments unnecessarily. Your clowns will mature at their own rate based on your conditions but once you dial it in, it should be reproducible.

Good luck!

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joyce Wilkerson's book is invaluable. If you don't have it, I suggest you get it. If the fry are on the bottom, the light intensity is too great (p. 186). If they are on the sides, they may be moving to either stray light or trying to get away from light. I taped black construction paper to my rearing tanks. If they are running away from light, they are not eating and, as mentioned, starving at Day 3 or so. I followed the feeding schedule on p. 192 - rotifers through Day 7, BBS start depends on species (Days 5-8), TDO after Day 5. Of course, there is overlap for different growth rates. Trial and error is a big part of this journey. Try different things but there is a lot of research out there that can save you time. Keep track of what you try so you don't end up repeating your experiments unnecessarily. Your clowns will mature at their own rate based on your conditions but once you dial it in, it should be reproducible.

Good luck!
I ordered it Wednesday, it should be here Monday. I'm at day 14 now with four juveniles remaining and looking healthy. This is the farthest I've made it in my third attempt. My clowns are only tomatoes, I wanted to see if it's something I can actually do before I spend some money on a pair of designer clowns.

I started tdo on day three, brine on day 8 and tdo b1 today. My tank is completely blacked out, I really think having it in the living room is a major factor in the die off. The next clutch will be in a spare bedroom with the window blacked out only allowing one source of light and away from people.

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it Wednesday, it should be here Monday. I'm at day 14 now with four juveniles remaining and looking healthy. This is the farthest I've made it in my third attempt. My clowns are only tomatoes, I wanted to see if it's something I can actually do before I spend some money on a pair of designer clowns.

I started tdo on day three, brine on day 8 and tdo b1 today. My tank is completely blacked out, I really think having it in the living room is a major factor in the die off. The next clutch will be in a spare bedroom with the window blacked out only allowing one source of light and away from people.
Seems like you can go right to Chapter 9. Small details matter, like water changes, light, feeding, etc. I have raised melanopus as well as several other species. I would say the tomatoes are middle of the road with regard to difficulty. I would move BBS up to Day 6. Keep rotifers around to Day 10. Start TDO on Day 8. But, hey, try what you had planned. I'm interested to see what you find. Metamorphosis is tough.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21, 4 healthy juveniles eating like crazy. Sponge filter is able to keep up with the ammonia now. New clutch of eggs will be hatching next Saturday, I'm hoping to have more than 4 by next day 21. I'll be transferring these 4 to a grow out tank to make room for for the new larval. Joyce Wilkerson's book has given me some great ideas for improvement.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was ordering plumbing parts on BRS for the new grow out system. I was in the zone, schedule 80 this and schedule 80 that, add a few schedule 80 gate valves and can't forget the schedule 80 check valve, the new build high was at its peak. I about hit submit order until I looked at the total. I said to myself, "You idiot, what are you doing! This just needs to be functional not a dang masterpiece." I deleted my cart and ordered all schedule 40 parts and saved $175.00

I'm proud of myself for having the strength to keep it simple.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was ordering plumbing parts on BRS for the new grow out system. I was in the zone, schedule 80 this and schedule 80 that, add a few schedule 80 gate valves and can't forget the schedule 80 check valve, the new build high was at its peak. I about hit submit order until I looked at the total. I said to myself, "You idiot, what are you doing! This just needs to be functional not a dang masterpiece." I deleted my cart and ordered all schedule 40 parts and saved $175.00

I'm proud of myself for having the strength to keep it simple.
Truly the biggest pitfall in the hobby imo :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Love following your progress!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back