2 part?

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me just start off by saying I am not the book smartest guy out there. And I know my tanks need to start being dosed for alk and Cal but my question is I am doing it manually so is there any way to figure out how much to dose to keep it consistent with out testing every time I dose. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

ShadowReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me just start off by saying I am not the book smartest guy out there. And I know my tanks need to start being dosed for alk and Cal but my question is I am doing it manually so is there any way to figure out how much to dose to keep it consistent with out testing every time I dose. Hope that makes sense. Thanks
Hi Jordan,

What I tend to do is to test at the same time every day over a period of a 4-5 days whilst keeping the dose the same. From there you can adjust up or down depending on the results and space your testing out to every 4 days or so. The alternative is to stop dosing and test every day for a few days (again at the same time) and measure the drop in dkh and calc. Trouble with this second method though is you will then be calculating how much you need to add to keep stable but also how much you need to add to increase it back to the desired level. Also means fluctuations are likely over that period.

Also remember that if you add any corals the amount you need to dose may change.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jordan,

What I tend to do is to test at the same time every day over a period of a 4-5 days whilst keeping the dose the same. From there you can adjust up or down depending on the results and space your testing out to every 4 days or so. The alternative is to stop dosing and test every day for a few days (again at the same time) and measure the drop in dkh and calc. Trouble with this second method though is you will then be calculating how much you need to add to keep stable but also how much you need to add to increase it back to the desired level. Also means fluctuations are likely over that period.

Also remember that if you add any corals the amount you need to dose may change.

Hope this helps
Thanks I am sure I'll have to read that couple more times lol. Is there any videos out out how to do it?

ShadowReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out BRS TV on YouTube. They have some great videos that are easy to understand and have great advice

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should find they you need roughly the same alk dose every day. Pick one and stick with it for a while to see what effect it has. Test and adjust less and less frequently until you get a good daily dose.

Match the calcium dose to the alk dose and stick with that as the alk dose changes. Eventually you can fine tune it based on calcium testing, but do that over a longer period as calcium tests don’t see day to day calcium changes well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back