240L Divider in wall Tank - Going to need lots of help and ideas

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the use of PVC to build stands but gotta ask ... where is the overflow tray for the sump? I had forgotten mine so I removed the sump tanks yesterday; built a small wall around the base; painted the wood; ran a PL400 bead over the cracks and put the tanks back in. I'll drill a hole in the stand; leave the pipe a couple of mm below the surface and plumb it to my drains next.
I did consider using a shower tray material from Home Despot but the tray material and glue were over $70 (Canuck bucks) with tax in. Yikes!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got it now. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Having a ton of bubbles arriving at the sump from the display is a good thing. Aeration helps disperse ammonia.

2. The downside of bubbles is that evaporation (more bubbles = more evaporation) contributes to humidity and cooling. Depending on your setup and where you live, those may not be negative factors. My main cooling device currently is that I have a fan that comes on automatically in the "splashiest and bubbliest" parts of my return.

3. Bubbles being forced down the return line will also create resistance which will therefore reduce flow ... somewhat. Enough bubbles or air attempting to get back up the line will significantly reduce return flow rate.

4. I think the only real issue therefore is noise. The Durso is the only solution to that I understand (haven't explored others yet) but that doesn't reduce aeration, it only reduces noise but in my case, that's all I'm looking for.
Love the use of PVC to build stands but gotta ask ... where is the overflow tray for the sump? I had forgotten mine so I removed the sump tanks yesterday; built a small wall around the base; painted the wood; ran a PL400 bead over the cracks and put the tanks back in. I'll drill a hole in the stand; leave the pipe a couple of mm below the surface and plumb it to my drains next.
I have no noise issues down in the sump,
Evap could be a problem going to make some lids to help with this later and keep salt creep contained
Still need to adjust my gate valves on my drains but its a pain by myself when i have to keep running upstairs to see how things are going

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats this overflow tray you speak of :) Like for a flood, like they set washers in on Two Stories homes?
My wont overflow when theres no power and if something did happen its in the basement and Installed a floor drain in the sump room
(Also going to get the leak sensors for the apex to shut off my pumps)

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about the "upstairs / downstairs" thing too. We probably need CCTV or some web cams.

Already setup just need to mount in there permanent location that would probably help! (there still just strung up from setup and testing) I have way too many projects going on at once! Going to try and finish up the landscape Project this weekend and get out to the river going to be 78 Saturday :cool:

Cam5.20161012_225000_1.jpg

Cam7.20161013_160038_1.jpg

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats this overflow tray you speak of :) Like for a flood, like they set washers in on Two Stories homes?
My wont overflow when theres no power and if something did happen its in the basement and Installed a floor drain in the sump room
(Also going to get the leak sensors for the apex to shut off my pumps)
Sounds like you've got it covered. If the sump springs a leak, the salt water will seep onto the floor and out through the floor drain. Much better than creating a 1" swimming pool but still pretty smelly and messy after it drains away. Trays are standard procedure when installing a hot water tank. Those are usually round and made of metal. It seems hot water tanks behave the way most things that hold water behave. They leak. Anyway, trays are also often built in below shower or bath stalls and you can buy the material to build them from HD. It is a heavy, flexible, rubber like material with a special glue to help seal the corners after you fold them up to whatever size you build. However, unlike a shower stall - which you wouldn't trust to a simple wooden surround - our tanks hopefully won't leak and if they do, the catchment area is visible and doesn't have to do a super good job of holding water. It just has to contain the water as it makes it's way to the drain. So ... I built mine out of wood that I painted and seam sealed with PL400 construction glue.

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got it covered. If the sump springs a leak, the salt water will seep onto the floor and out through the floor drain. Much better than creating a 1" swimming pool but still pretty smelly and messy after it drains away. Trays are standard procedure when installing a hot water tank. Those are usually round and made of metal. It seems hot water tanks behave the way most things that hold water behave. They leak. Anyway, trays are also often built in below shower or bath stalls and you can buy the material to build them from HD. It is a heavy, flexible, rubber like material with a special glue to help seal the corners after you fold them up to whatever size you build. However, unlike a shower stall - which you wouldn't trust to a simple wooden surround - our tanks hopefully won't leak and if they do, the catchment area is visible and doesn't have to do a super good job of holding water. It just has to contain the water as it makes it's way to the drain. So ... I built mine out of wood that I painted and seam sealed with PL400 construction glue.
Gotcha! I also put up the fiberglass panels so I should be able to somewhat rinse the room out too!

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my QT's going! my Cheato is starting to take off. Got a little more equipment installed, Still have more i need to setup.

20161101_210644.jpg

20161102_152018.jpg

20161102_152047.jpg

20161102_194640.jpg

20161102_194702.jpg

20161102_194714.jpg

20161102_200133.jpg

20161102_224928.jpg

20161102_224956.jpg

20161102_225014.jpg

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just doing a build on another 140 gallon and I'll be using evacuated tubes for heating and a car radiator for cooling. I have an existing solar hot water system so plumbing that in is pretty easy. I tried the car radiator cooling on my existing 140 gallon and it worked fine. There are some controller requirements, that include electronic valves for the heat and pumps and fans for the cooling but it will work.

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost got the sump room all squared away, Just need to clean up the wires and program the apex setup my float switches. Setup a filter sock holder also. Im sure im forgetting about another 40 things I need to do still

Bought a bunch more inverts and coral Saturday - Along with constant never ending orders from the online Shops

Swapped my fuge and skimmer around Works alot better for access and the flow through the sump (Probably lose a few Pods to the skimmer)

Built the platform last week also in front of the garage side of the tank, Ill try and get a few pics up

20161120_150613.jpg

20161120_150623.jpg

20161120_150632.jpg

20161120_150646.jpg

20161120_150659.jpg

20161120_150707.jpg

20161120_231631.jpg

20161120_231637.jpg

20161120_231643.jpg

20161120_231650.jpg

20161120_231656.jpg

20161120_231707.jpg

20161120_231713.jpg

20161120_231721.jpg

20161120_231742.jpg

20161120_231808.jpg

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an amazing build! You have done a great job on the details. I only wish I had a fish room. (Maybe soon).

OP
OP
dstienmann

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I installed 2 Pentair UV sterilizers and am dialing my flow back to 225gph measured on each of the 2 returns. Would be nice to get rid of this power hungry Reeflo (Ill have to reevaluate once i have my chiller plumbed in and see how this low turnover does)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude this tank and room is so cool!

IdahoReefMafia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your build, I have been in I.T for about 7 years and i have the same attitude you do. there is vary few things i can't do or figure out. just need the right tools. my next build will be in the main floor of my house like what you have done. keep up the good work, you have given me a lot of ideas. feel free to check out my system.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IdahoReefMafia
Watched your video and thought I would buy frags from you. Live just across the line in Eastern Washington on the Snake River. Setting up a new tank when I get enough time to build it and the filter system.

IdahoReefMafia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@IdahoReefMafia
Watched your video and thought I would buy frags from you. Live just across the line in Eastern Washington on the Snake River. Setting up a new tank when I get enough time to build it and the filter system.
I would love to sell you some. If you ever make it to east Idaho I'll hook you up. One of the best places to buy coral in the state is closser to you. Its coral for cheap in Boise tell Josh that Jonathan sent you and he will hook you up. Also you can't beat his price on tanks and equipment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back