themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2547.jpeg

I’ll be honest. The Steve’s LEDs install wasn’t a breeze. Lots of modifications required. Most difficult was modifying the inlet and outlet vents. I ended up using a jig saw and cut out the vents. I’ll plan to add a black wire mesh of some sorts over the opening. In the mean time it’s good enough.

So far the lights seem solid. I love the shimmer and forgot how much I really enjoy it. The photo anbove appears to be saturated blue but it’s not that way in person.

I have a lot to learn with using the controller and tweaking everything to my liking.

IMG_2540.jpeg
IMG_2541.jpeg
IMG_2542.jpeg
IMG_2543.jpeg
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2546.jpeg

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller seems to be a tall learning curve. Can’t seem to get the auto setting of the manual changes I made to keep. Ended up unplugging and plugging back in and it seemed to level out. We shall see as the day goes on.

IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2556.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
I regret to inform R2R that my 14 yr old female clown is struggling. She’s been sick for quite some time, say thanksgiving or so. Started with hanging in the corner, vertical on its head.

I’m not intervening and don’t have a QT tank. Plan to just let it run its course. I don’t believe it’s sick, just very old.

The male has been constantly nudging it. When I feed it brings pellets to the female. Very interesting it think to see this relationship.

Needless to say, it’s a sad day.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the fish. Too too much suffering.

Pretty bummed.

Still don't think it was disease. Think was just old.

Next I have to figure what to do. Maybe experiment and get a smaller clown. See if the male switches.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a fish today. Been many years. Pretty exciting.

Neon Dottyback(Pseudochromis aldabraensis)

Waiting for it to get acclimated before I can snap a decent photo.

Didn’t quarantine but did to a quick freshwater dip and equalized the salinity and temperature before releasing.

Update on this.

Day after acclimating , the little guy jumped to the back of the chamber. I have had a couple attempts to catch with end result in failure. Days went by with not seeing it. Assuming it had passed, I stopped looking.

The day my 14 yr old female clown died, I happened to look back in the chamber, little dottyback was still back there. Crazy.

Today was “Operation Save Rainbow Fish”.

It was successful and the little fishy is back in the tank.

IMG_2578.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough crowd. Feel like I've been talking to myself on here for a few weeks. Its all good though, I like the updates and keeping history of the changes.
Just how it is man! I feel like that all the time haha! Times have changed for sure! People look but don’t comment or drop a like… :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: This is my first time seeing your tank and it looks great!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just how it is man! I feel like that all the time haha! Times have changed for sure! People look but don’t comment or drop a like… :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: This is my first time seeing your tank and it looks great!
Thank you. I appreciate that. Not really here for comments or likes just feel like it’s a one way conversation.
No worries though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem expelled its waste yesterday. It shrunk up to almost nothing. Pretty gross and weird. The clowns were at a loss on where to go and what to do. This morning it looked back to its normal ways.

I remember the scare still to today from many years ago when this first happened. The panic of is the nem dying type.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back